→ summer love [1]

Warnings: fluff & sadness ahead
lowercase letters because why not
will be split into two parts !

"you don't know how happy i am."

it was the summer of 1985, everyone were out and about, enjoying the time of their lives. that was when you met steve harrington. you both liked each other very much, and pretty much everyone in hawkins knew that. steve was the love of your life, and same for him to you.

you met him at the newly opened building, the starcourt mall. steve works at the ice cream parlor, scoops ahoy. he works with your older step-sister, robin buckley.

it all started when she invited you to hang out with her at scoops. as soon as steve laid his eyes on you, he immediately knew that you were the one. it sounds exaggerated, but for him it's not.

— flashback: 24th of june, 1985 —

"ahoy, m'lady. would you like to try out our new flavor in the ship? i'll be your captain, i'm steve harrington." steve beamed, making you giggle. "how many times would you tell me your name? it's not like we don't know each other for weeks now." you chuckled, "and i would like to try the cookie dough, please." you smiled at the boy. he quickly got a cone for you and scooped the flavor you ordered.

steve handed you the cone and you gladly took it from him. "thanks, steve." you smiled one last time before heading to the back door with your sister.

robin got up from her seat and opened the window leading to the counter, "my sister likes you." she blurted out to steve. the boy was left in shock, "what?" his cheeks instantly went red.

"y/n. she likes you." robin mumbled as she glanced at you. "i've never seen her that happy around someone," she smiles at the boy, "i'm starting to think she secretly hates me." she jokes as she shakes her head.

steve was indeed speechless, trying to process what robin just said. "now go back to slinging ice cream. don't tell her i told you that." robin whispers at steve before closing the window and sat with you.

weeks went by after that incident, you noticed steve acting weird, more likely nervous, around you. you wanted to ask him about it, but your ego told you not to. 4th of july, he invited you to go at the fun fair with him. of course, you agreed. and he was extremely happy and excited, but he kept that to himself.

— 4th of july, 1985 —

as you both got inside the ferris wheel, you took a deep breath, preparing to tell him about moving out for college after summer. robin already knew about it, but you told her that you wanted to tell steve yourself.

"hey," you both said at the same time. you insisted steve to go first, and you weren't expecting what he told you.

"i'm going to be honest with you, y/n, before it's too late. i really like you."

"you.. like me?"

"yes. but you don't have to give me an answer now. i would wait for you until you're ready. i promised robin that i would not break your heart because she will 'kick my sorry ass' and will not let me see you ever again." steve began to ramble.

"look, steve. i like you too, but—"

"you like me too?"

you nodded as a response, giving him a small smile. but you really wanted to tell him the news about you going away. the boy just confessed to you, and you didn't want to ruin the moment. so you told yourself that you would just tell him some other time.

"y/n, you don't know happy i am right now." he smiled widely. you definitely didn't want to ruin the moment—especially when you saw him that happy.

he pulled you for a hug and you hugged back, feeling his warmth around your body. as the ferris wheel stopped at the bottom again, you both got off, and strolled towards a hot dog cart hand-in-hand.