023

you were simply enjoying your little break from managing the volleyball team. all you had to do was sit back, and keep track of mayumi's wellbeing.

you were blessed. you got the front seat, the one facing directly towards the air conditioner. it was a hot day, so getting that seat was considered a gift.

the competitors were warming up, which you already understood the reasoning behind doing so since the volleyball team does the same.

you were mindlessly playing an offline game on your phone when you suddenly heard your name being called — shouted, if more precise.

"damn it." you cursed under your breath. you accidentally dropped your phone from the sudden jump, causing you to lose the level you were almost winning.

you saw mayumi waving her hand, gesturing you to come down from the bleachers. you pointed your finger to yourself, making sure you were the hirami they were calling for.

mayumi rolled her eyes and nodded. you then hastily ran down the bleachers to where the students were warming up.

"what's wrong?" you clipped the sides of your hair using mayumi's bobby pins. she has a lot of those.

"i don't know. coach was the one who called you, not me." mayumi shrugged, pulling two ends of her ponytail together, tightening the tie.

you turned your head to see the female instructor- madam hayami, raising her eyebrow at you. you looked at mayumi, confused and a tad bit frightened.

madam hayami looks like those stingy convenience store cashiers who are forced to work morning shifts.

"madam's a nice lady. she doesn't bite." mayumi sighed, pushing your stiff body to madam hayami's way. you felt intimidated standing in front of her.

"you're mayumi's guardian?" she asked in a stentorian tone.

"i take care of her when her parents are busy. so yes, technically." you replied, feeling a lump in your throat which you tried to ignore.

"well, help out with the equipment then will you?" she said, picking up some bows and arrows from the students' archery cases.

"im sorry?" you blinked, confused on why she was stacking archery arrows on your hand, making sure the point doesn't hit your arm.

"im gonna need you to help me with the stuff." she grunted, standing up from her chair.

"you see those?" she said, pointing over a row of hanging quivers, which you nodded when they came into your vision.

"i want you to put these arrows in every single one of them. 15 arrows each." she said, which sounded more like a demand. you obliged, it wasn't that much work anyway.

after a few minutes of lending a hand here and there, the speaker announced that the competitors are needed to get ready. that was your queue to go back to the bleachers.

you prepped up your phone on a small tripod to record the match. you sighed, leaning back on your seat. your eyes closed shut, the air conditioning blowing cold air right on your face.

'i hope things are going smoothly for sakusa and minoru.'