The Fountian

The gems carried Stevonnie into the house and let her rest while they caught them up on what they knew.

    "So here's what we know for sure" Amethyst began "The Diamond's were rejuvenated by an unknown fusion, who reportedly is in league with Jasper and Holly Blue Agate. We know the three of them have significant influence, but it would seem they still answer to the Diamonds. Our current best guess is they are acting as consort to the Diamonds. We know their primary tactic is to use rejuvenation as a means to gain troops from our forces. They have been known to have White control gems that are still unruly or who recover easily."

    "I saw one of those gems; they attacked my school. A topaz I believe."

    "Right. It seems they have 3 objectives; they want to destroy our base, they want to restart colonization, and they want to capture you. Luckily, while the Diamonds have plenty of images of Steven on record to know what their target looks like, they don't have any of Stevonnie. Peridot managed to get some recorders in the castle, and it seems they have no clue as far as they are concerned, you are just some kid. Your lucky their camera broke in the crash, otherwise they would have seen you using your powers. Peridot has a small troop of gems stationed on Homeworld, we have a battalion on the moon with lion, Lars has been in orbit to take out small craft inbound. Lapis has evacuated Beach City and the adjacent towns into what's basically a huge underwater bubble she made, she has a few other lapis trading duties with her so she can rest. Everyone else is in the temple like you said."

    "Pearl's with them I assume." Amethyst just shook her head.

    Garnet was the one to announce what had happened. "We lost Pearl a few days back; she got rejuvenated and is presumably servant to one of the Diamonds."

    "Ok Stevonnie how are you feeling?" Amethyst asked.

    "Better that the last time we didn't have our gem."

    "Last time, what last time?"

    "When we went to Homeworld with Yellow and Blue Steven got his gem pulled out while you all were under White's control."

    "Well at least you have some experience then" said Amethyst "You think you can walk?"

    "Maybe."

    "Ok, I'll help, come on" Amethyst put her arm under Stevonnie's and helped prop her up. "Come on, were going to the warp now, we're going to see if Rose's water can help." Garnet Amethyst and Stevonnie walked to the warp and left for the fountain.

    Hobbling to the fountain with Amethyst's help, Stevonnie dropped in, and in a bright glow, fell apart.

    "Huh, we're apart again." Connie paused briefly "STEVEN!" She turned to look and saw him standing there perfectly fine.

    "It seems that the water worked, I feel better already. In fact;" Steven summoned his shield without a problem "I seem to have my powers back."

    "That explains it."

    "Explains what?"

    "Why we unfused now and not before."

    "Yeah I guess it does."

    Steven climbed out and Connie followed. They walked to the warp pad except for Garnet. Amethyst called to Garnet to come over.

    "3" Garnet said. "2." Everyone turned to see what was being counted down. "1" Steven dropped down in pain, clutching his stomach. "Get him back in the water now." They sprinted back into the fountain a returned Steven to the water. He quickly recovered.

    "Well I guess I'm a fish now."

    "Steven is fine as long as he is fused" Garnet explained "The other person is capable of keeping him alive." Everybody turned to Connie.

    "I'm flattered that you all think I should fuse with Steven, but wouldn't that leave him unable to protect himself? I mean if he fuses with one of you he has powers with which he can defend himself"

    "True but there is also the risk that we unfuse. The two of you don't have a gem; there isn't any means for your forms to separate once fused, but if he unfused with one of us, there is no way to refuse."

    "Well ok then" She grabbed Steven's hands and jumped in, and where the two stood moments ago, now stood only one.

    "Well then, what's the plan?" Stevonnie asked.

    "Well your going back to school."

    "What! Don't you need me here?"

    Garnet knelt down and placed her hand on Stevonnie's shoulder "The human body is capable of amazing thing. Right now you are struggling to walk, but you can recover; eventually you will be able to walk run and fight just like anyone else. But that takes time Stevonnie. If we need you here, we'll call you; here's a warp whistle so you can come. In the meantime though, it would be best to continue your education. You bought us plenty of time, we can wait until summer break for any attacks if that makes you feel better."

    "I'm not really sure if it does but thanks."

    "Come on, let's grab a few vials of the water for you just in case and then hurry along to the warp; the effects of the water doesn't last long." They picked you a few vials before returning to the temple.

    "One last thing I should mention;" Garnet adjusted her visor "The powers you use with the Rose water are on borrowed strength. The healing restores the ability to use your powers, but your gem would normally also be a power source, and the Rose water doesn't give you any extra strength; the powers you use while under its effects will drain you when they wear off. Don't forget that. Now get some rest; you'll be going back on the 1st of March, that gives you a week to recover."