Revalations

They stood outside the pod and looked about. Their actions were beginning to catch up with them; the realization of what they did setting in. They shattered three gems, and cracked a fourth.

     "Steven are you doing all right? I know how you are about cracking gems."

    "I'm fine. It's war. I don't have the luxury to play nice.

     "You never gave up on trying to save everyone before, why now?"

     "Before I had my gem. If I was hurt I healed, If someone else was hurt I healed them. And of course I was always able to protect myself. Let's just worry about figuring this out"

     Connie wished to press the issue no further, but she could feel that wasn't how he truely felt. He was rationalizing, but she could feel that he felt himself to be a monster. Still pressing the issue wasn't helping.

    Stevonnie went through their next day at school paying little heed to the lessons; the material was familiar anyways; rather their attention fell to the enigma as to why the files had been purged. It didn't make sense. It was far easier to put a requirement for Diamond level clearance than it is to delete it, so why wouldn't they do that? What little attention was not devoted to that ponderance went to what Garnet had said a few days prior; that the cluster would emerge soon. And of course, the weight of death upon their shoulders was far from forgotten.

     Suddenly, around noon, they had a revelation. They didn't simply put a Diamond level clearance on the files, because the people the files were being hidden from was the Diamonds. The Diamonds weren't just rejuvenated, but were being actively manipulated. But that raised the questions as to why and as to how. If the Diamonds were back to their old ways, what was the point of manipulating them, and how could anyone possibly manipulate the Diamonds when they were back to the idea that they were above all other gems?

     These questions lingered in their mind as they went on to lunch. They sat down, and Maria sat down next to them. "What's up?"

     "Just thinking."

    "Come on Stevonnie, I've been around you long enough to know when something's important. What's up?"

     "It's just, that pod had some data on it that seems to indicate that despite the Diamonds having been rejuvenated, informatics being hidden from them; they're being manipulated, but I don't get why."

     "You know... didn't you tell me rejuvenation could be undone if you reminded someone how they had changed?"

     "You think they are trying to hide the information so the Diamonds can't recover?"

    "Yep."

     Stevonnie gave the idea some thought. "That makes sense... every major impact on the Diamonds traces back either to me or to the gem war. So by getting rid of that information, they can't break free from the rejuvenation! But how..."

     "Your guess is as good as mine." The remainder of lunch was quiet as they pondered the question.

     Stevonnie expected the question to be pondered for days yet, but rather a small bit of history class happened to catch their attention. "Historically, councils to Kings would have great influence, but didn't chalenge the King's idea that he was divinely chosen, despite the council oft having great sway over the king."  They couldn't believe how lucky they were, or that such a simplistic idea went under their radars. Those gems were posing as council to the Diamonds so they could make the decisions  and keep the Diamonds rejuvenated. When the bell rung, they rushed to tell Garnet their musings.

     Warping to the temple, they swiftly called to Garnet, who swung about the corner and greeted them. "Garnet I think I figured out what's been going on with the Diamonds."

      "Yes, now go along now."

      "Garnet why are you being so secretive towards us?"

      "To protect-"

     Stevonnie cut her off "To protect me? I've heard it all before. It was 4 years ago, was it not, that we stood in these very spots having this very argument? And where did it get us? It got my dad kidnapped across the Galaxy! I thought we settled it then; no more secrets!"

     "To protect the Earth." Garnet finished. "You are absolutely integral to this fight, but you try to help everywhere you can, it's the greatest part about you, but also your greatest weakness. If you knew what was to happen you'd try and help, which makes it all the more likely you get killed, and all hope of saving Earth with you. Now go home and get rest."

     Stevonnie wasn't happy about it, but they did as they were told to.