Chapter 34 - Maturity

It had been two years since Astrid turned eighteen and fully realized Andrew as her mate. She had half expected him to rush into a relationship and have pups, but the night before her birthday he had come to her to say that he was willing to wait longer. 

     Astrid was happy he was so willing to wait, even though she felt an immense attraction, and need, for him, she still couldn't get over the whole "him raising her" thing. Their relationship had evolved, however, in the three years since she became Luna. Instead of having a power imbalance, they were now equals. 

     But now, as Astrid approached her twentieth birthday party, she realized that she was finally ready for something more. Jules and her mate, Aiden, had met a year and a half ago and they were already expecting, Harry and his mate already had a child (with another on the way), and Achilles and Pierce had finally tied the knot a few weeks ago.

     These weren't the only reasons Astrid wanted to move forward, but they were definitely a factor. Although, Astrid knew that she and Andrew were far from getting married and even further from having pups.

     "Good morning birthday girl." Andrew had walked into her room, of course at an ungodly hour , to bring her a cake and sing happy birthday. When he was done, Astrid closed her eyes and made her wish.

     I want him.

    "So what did you wish for?"

    Astrid rolled her eyes before stretching to start her day.

     "If I told you then it wouldn't come true."

     Andrew laughed and butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Deciding to take fate into her own hands, she got up and kissed him. He was startled at first, but he slowly took charge. Their mouths moved in rhythm for a while before she pulled away.

     "So was that your wish?" 

     He smiled down at her and his eyes crinkled at the corner.

     "Perhaps."

      "What would you like to do today since you refused to have a party this year?"

     Astrid pretended to think for a moment before answering, but she already knew what she wanted.

     "I want a day in, just the two of us. No work, no formalities, just pajamas and a good movie marathon."

    "All movies you chose of course."

     "It is my birthday!"

~~~{ }~~~

     By the end of the day they had already watched every cheesy Jane Asuten-esque movie they could find. Andrew and Astrid were cuddled on the couch, having finished their popcorn a long time ago.

     Astrid thought that this would be as a good a time as any to let him know of her intentions.

    "Andrew?"

     He hummed in response and looked down at her, moving the hair from her face so he could see her better. 

     "I want there to be an us. Not just Alpha and Luna, but as a real couple. We'd have to take things slow, but I'm ready."

     He smiled and bent down to kiss her.

     "You don't know how long I've waited for those words to fall from my mate's lips."

     Astrid sat up and embraced him.

     "If your mate were any other girl, you wouldn't have to wait an eternity."

     His smile fell and he caressed her cheek as if it would make his point come across clearer.

     "Regardless of our circumstances Astrid, I wouldn't wish for any other girl."

     After a pause, he spoke again.

    "Why don't I take you on a date this weekend? We can go to your favorite restaurant.... if that's what you want to do."

     "That sounds lovely."

~~~{ }~~~

     Saturday came and Astrid had gotten out of bed five hours before they were to go on their date. Andrew was working at the pack house, so she'd have time to ready herself. She was a bit nervous even though she had known the man her whole life. Maybe it's because I've known him my whole life .

     She had showered and washed her hair, opting to use her diffuser instead of air drying. She needed her hair to look perfect.

     For her makeup, Astrid had made a game plan the day before to coordinate with her outfit. But after trying on the outfit again, she decided she would have to scrap the entire thing. 

     Goddess I feel like a teenager.

     After going through her entire closet, she had finally found a suitable outfit for the dinner. Since she didn't have time to play around with her makeup, she did a minimal look she knew would match.

     Right as she was putting on her jewelry, Andrew knocked on her door.

     "Astrid, are you ready?"

     "Yeah I'll be out in a minute."

     She gave herself a once over in the mirror and decided she could go out into the world.

     When she opened the door she was greeted with an extremely attractive Andrew. He knew she liked when he wore suits, so he wore her favorite. He too was taking in her appearance like a starved man.

     "You look gorgeous Astrid."

     His voice held so much adoration that Astrid's heart swelled.

     "And you look gorgeous too."

     He placed his hand on the small of her back and guided her to the car.

     Once they got to the restaurant, the host escorted them to their table. 

     Astrid felt warm being there with him in a romantic setting. It felt like all the pieces were finally falling into place and they could begin their future together. Andrew was the perfect date and she wished she was older so that they could have done this earlier. She missed out on so much.

     Andrew was finally happy his mate was willing to take things to the next level. Waiting twenty years for the one you love to love you back was extremely difficult, but he did it for her and it was worth the wait.

     They spent the night talking and laughing and touching anytime they could. A hand on the shoulder here, a brush of the fingers there.

     The pair realized that night that there was no turning back. Their love was ready to reach maturity.