Chapter 32 - Solemn

Astrid couldn't sleep that night; between worry for Andrew and grief over Georgina's death, sleep seemed impossible. She tossed and turned the whole night just to get up at seven due to boredom. She had decided to make Andrew a nice breakfast, knowing that he probably wouldn't have the energy to do it today.

The funeral was this afternoon and Astrid still had no idea how the woman who raised her died. She wasn't sick when Astrid left for school... right? She wished that she could have spent more time with Georgina before her death. She hadn't seen much of her over winter break with all the drama.

Sighing and holding back tears, Astrid went to work on her decadent breakfast. She wasn't much of a cook, but she knew that Andrew would eat whatever she made regardless of its taste.

As a mate should.

Astrid let out a small laugh at her wolf's words. Regardless of how weird their relationship was, with him raising her and all, he was still a good mate. She could have gotten one of those other Alphas who were temperamental and downright abusive, but she got Andrew who was considerate and patient. Even if she wasn't the easiest mate to have.

She finished breakfast around seven thirty and brought it up to Andrew's room knowing that he would be up. He usually woke up early, but given today was his mother's funeral, Astrid had a strong feeling he hadn't slept either.

Knocking on his door, her feeling was confirmed when she heard a gruff "come in" from the other side. She opened the door and turned on the light. Saying his room was a mess would be an understatement, he had documents and clothes strewn all over the place. It was very out of character for Andrew who was usually clean and proper, and Astrid's worry for him increased tenfold.

"I made you breakfast. It took me a while, but I have eggs, toast, and some fruits."

Grabbing the plate, Andrew said a small thank you.

"Oh, and here's some coffee. I didn't sleep last night and I had the feeling that you didn't either."

"You were right. Every time I closed my eyes I could just see the life draining from her."

Astrid sat down next to him and ran her hands through his hair.

"Andrew... how did she die?"

She knew it would be hard for him to say it, but at the same time she wanted to know.

"She had a stroke the day before."

Astrid widened her eyes. Georgina had a stroke and was laying on her deathbed, yet no one thought to call her.

"Why didn't you tell me? I would have come."

Andrew shook his head.

"Dr. Hammond said she would make a full recovery. She should have made a full recovery. But I guess losing her mate finally caught up to her. Before she died she told me that it was time and she wasn't needed here anymore. But I needed her here."

By the end of his explanation, Andrew looked like a broken child. Astrid knew exactly how he felt. The pain of losing a mate was so tremendous that even your children aren't enough to tie you to the Earth. Astrid wondered how the Goddess could be so cruel.

Astrid hugged Andrew and stayed with him until it was time for the funeral.

~~~{ }~~~

The whole pack had gathered in the great lawn for the funeral of their former Luna. They were filled with a mix of emotions. Sadness, of course, over her passing, gratitude towards her service, and fear since their alpha had not found his mate.

As far as they knew.

Astrid and Andrew had been the last ones to arrive, linked arm in arm as they made their way to the front row. The spiritual guide for the pack had lead the funeral. Once he finished, Andrew had gotten up to speak.

"I'd like to thank you all for coming today to pay tribute to my beloved mother, friend, and Luna. She loved this pack dearly, even before she became Luna. And that's what made her such a great leader, her love and compassion were unmatched and she was so selfless."

Andrew paused to collect himself. He loved and trusted his pack, but he didn't want to break down in front of them either.

"When my father died she was broken, but she also knew she couldn't leave this pack without a Luna. Although she was no longer the true female leader to this pack, she decided to stay anyways. She persevered and stood up to the challenge until I could find my mate. And then I did..."

Gasps erupted from the crowd, including from Astrid. She had no idea that this would be the way Andrew would break the news. However, she remembered Jules' words from the car. The pack needed a Luna, and Andrew not having one would be a serious problem.

The crowd looked around for the supposed Luna. There were no new women around, and many of the pack members gave each other confused glances.

"Oh Goddess, what if the Alpha is gay?" An old lady behind Astrid muttered in terror.

Astrid gave a "what the fuck" look to the old lady standing behind her. Homophobic much.

Andrew had been calling for the crowd to settle down and when the whispers quieted down he continued.

"I know there is much confusion over my mate for quite a while now, however if I could just finish this eulogy that would be greatly appreciated."

The crowd muttered their apologies and Andrew nodded his head.

"I found my mate and my mother soon became her mother."

Astrid scrunched her nose. A little incest-y but he's got the spirit.

"And my mother passed all her wisdom and knowledge down to my mate until she deemed her mission complete. Unfortunately, she could not stay longer, but I am still thankful for all she has done for us and she will be greatly missed."

By the end of his speech, the gears started turning in everyone's heads. Astrid could feel the eyes of the pack land on her and she was afraid to turn around.

This was going to be a shit show.