Chapter 11 - White Flag

After exposing her secret to Pierce, Astrid stayed over. She felt guilt about forgetting that they were a couple, but she was feeling guilty about a lot of things lately. She was laying in his bed fully clothed. He had wanted to go further but Astrid was scared of the past repeating itself. Instead she just lay in his arms, staring out the window to see the sun rising.

     She didn't want to go home and face Andrew. Not after her episode. He was better off forgetting about her and going to another, more stable female. She had Pierce now, she deserved Pierce. They were cut from the same cloth, no one else understanding them the way they understood each other. Astrid didn't necessarily love Pierce, and she knew that he didn't necessarily love her either. They were teenagers who did drugs and had a sexual attraction towards each other. At least that's how she saw it.

     Pierce stirred next to her and she could hear him groan.

     "Ugh what time is it?"

     Looking over at the clock, Astrid saw that it was 6:57 and told him just that. Pierce let out a loud yawn and stretched his legs and arms around her body which was wrapped with his. Once he was sort of awake, he turned to Astrid and knew they had to have a conversation. One that was too heavy for 7 in the morning.

     "So what I saw yesterday..."

     Astrid knew the words that would come out of his mouth next, so she finished his sentence.

     "Was not a product of a hallucinogen."

     Pierce let out a sigh and looked to be in deep though, an expression that was hardly ever on his face.

     "So that weird community you live in is like a pack?" Pierce had a 13 year old cousin who was obsessed with werewolf novels, and every time she came over he would be subject to hearing about them.

      "I see Quinn has taught you well." Astrid chuckled knowing that the girl was obsessed with her kind.

     "So does that make me your mate?" Pierce looked over at her curiously and Astrid had to stop herself from choking on her saliva. He was not her mate, no way in hell. But her real mate didn't want her, so maybe he could be.

     "Maybe. I won't know until I'm 18."

     Pierce had given her another award winning smile and had kissed her on the lips. Astrid felt disgusted, her wolf felt disgusted. But this was what she deserved for breaking Andrew's heart.

     "As your boyfriend, and possible mate, I want to help you Astrid. You can't use heroin anymore. I don't want you to die and I definitely don't want to see that side of you again."

     He looked at her intensely before she nodded knowing that he couldn't help her no matter how hard he tried. She'd play this game for now though.

     "And how would you do that? You're no Dr. Phil."

     Pierce did not see the humor in her situation and sighed again. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her again, but this time with more passion. He pulled away after a minute and continued to lecture her.

     "I know that, but I've seen friends go through withdrawals so I know how to help. I want to help."

She smiled at him and felt peace in the feeling that she was wanted by someone. Even if that someone was Pierce.

"Ok. No more."

~~~{ }~~~

     Astrid had left Pierce's house around noon that day and promised to him that she wouldn't do anything stupid. He stated that he'd call her every few hours to make sure that she was ok. He had tried to convince her to stay, but she knew that she had to get back to the pack before they go looking for her. Especially since she had disappeared so often.

     Astrid had no intention of staying clean. She had tried to before and failed miserably. The chaos in her head was too much to tackle by herself. She needed help and she knew the pack wouldn't let her see a shrink since the pack solves everyone's problems.

     Fuck the pack.

     She took the long way home knowing the fights and headaches she'd have to deal with when she got there. After an hour of aimlessly wandering, she passed pack borders and made a bee-line to the Alpha house before she ran into anyone. Walking through the door, she made her way up the stairs and to her stash.

     Astrid pulled the plank to discover that her box was gone.

     Gone.

     Was she that high that she forgot to put it away?

     She searched every nook and cranny of her room to come up empty. She was starting to hyperventilate and run her hands through her hair. A panic attack was oncoming.

     This was the scene that Andrew had walked into.

     The sheets on the bed ruffled from being moved around and clothes tossed on the floor. Drawers had been opened and items carelessly scattered. His mate stood in the center of the room holding her head and pacing back and forth. He looked to see the plank missing from the floor.

     "I think you and I need to have a talk." Astrid moved her head over and saw the pity in Andrew's eyes. He was pitying her, but that wasn't the only emotion that swirled in his green eyes. There was a trace of disappointment, and if Astrid was a stranger she would have missed it.

     He was disappointed in her and that crushed Astrid more than the anxiety coursing through her veins.

     Sighing, Astrid raised her hands in defeat. He had found out and now she didn't know what he was going to do. It may have something to do with rehab and pack bonding exercises.

     "I guess we do Alpha."

     Astrid didn't want to fight anymore. She physically couldn't without a substance to help her. She was on a low now and didn't feel like arguing what she knew was correct information.

     And with that, Astrid put up her white flag.