bride

"Your Grace, the ships we saw a few days earlier are nowhere in sight now. They just disappeared into thin air!" The Prime Minister exclaimed, his hands clasped tightly together as he broke the news to the king.

"How can massive ships just disappear, Hawklin?" Another minister piped up but when he got a stern look from the royalty, he stayed shut.

"Did you see them turn to another route?" The King asked, getting up from his throne and descending the steps.

"No, Your Grace. There was just the usual morning mist today and after that, they could not be seen anywhere."

The King's heart picked up pace. He had seen this before and known it all too well. At that time he had been young and passionate and in the most powerful alliances one could imagine, but now things were different. He was neither so young nor did he have any part in those alliances anymore.

Timothee was a skilled warrior and had been in a few battles before, winning almost every single one he had ever fought, but this enemy was a force to shudder from. He did have confidence in his son but he had fought this particular battle before and he knew just how much it was going to take from him. He just did not know if Timothee was ready for something so big yet.

He had known it was late Elliot's host deep in his heart the moment he heard of ships from Hawklin. Elliot had been a king of the seas and the world had known his undefeated fleet until King Chalamet had conquered it and Elmcaster with it.

He knew he should have killed his queen and her child the day he had beheaded Elliot. He had never wanted to go back in time more.

"Hawklin. Prepare for battle. It won't be long till they land on our shores. And summon all my guests- the kings, immediately."

----------------------------------------------------

"I thank all of you for answering my call so late at night. I would not have troubled any of Your Majesties had the matter at hand not been such a grave one." The King announced as soon as all the rulers of the neighbouring lands were seated and warm.

"As you have all been witnesses to some unfortunate breaches in our security in the past few days- unexpected attacks and destruction of castle property, I would like to assume the liberty to let you know who was behind it all."

The King paused and his audience looked expectantly at him. He saw wine glasses being clutched tighter and doublets being drawn closer.

"Who was it?" A king prompted.

"Late Elliot's host. His wife leads it. I know it because only Elliot knew how to mask his ships in the mists and some god-forsaken short routes to every island that no one else has ever found out about. We are expecting them in Elmcaster any time. This is a war call and I need you to fight with me." The King let out, preparing himself for the worst part.

"You know Brookwood shall always fight with you, without a doubt." Prince Ansel confirmed from one of the seats, his father seconding his claim.

The King smiled, hoping the rest were as easy to come to his aid.

"What compensation do you promise?" A king asked.

"You're supposed to be a king with an army not a sell sword but name your price anyway- gold, trade discounts?"

"A billion coins in gold and the northern vineyards of Elmcaster."

"If I go around giving that much to every person who helps me, I might not even have a kingdom to fight for by the time the enemy arrives." King Chalamet spat.

"Then forgive me, Your Grace. Elliot's army used to be formidable and I am not willing to take the risk of expecting any less of them now. Brookwood helps you and not I because your daughter marries into their kingdom, not mine. I won't risk a single man from my kingdom if I can't secure the interest of my lands." The king said and got up. A few other kings got up with him and they all strode out of the court.

King Chalamet felt his throat constrict. He had to come up with an appealing price or he would not have any allies to fall back upon. He could not lose Elmcaster, not when his son was about to be the monarch.

"I can promise gold in millions to those present here, free passage in Elmcaster waters and a life-long war alliance." He breathed out finally.

"I can lend you three quarters of my army for that and my son commands it." The King of Manisland declared and King Chalamet gratefully accepted his help. It was better to have something rather than nothing.

By the end of the night and after a zillion negotiations, the rulers of six lands agreed to lend Elmcaster tits and bits of their armies and all King Chalamet could do was wordlessly accept it.

Helplessness sure was one of the most killing emotions.

He had gotten more men at his disposal now but they still were not enough. As the remaining kings left, the King sat down on his throne, silently praying for some miracles. Elmcaster deserved it.

When he finally looked up, he saw the pirate king Edmund still seated on one of the high chairs, smoking a pipe per usual.

"Edmund?"

"Marc." The man replied in his croaky voice.

"Do you need something?"

"No but you do. It is going to be a battle in the waters, like all those years ago."

King Marc shuddered at the bloody remembrance and just hummed his agreement. The only strategic way to win Elmcaster was to land on its shores after winning over the battleships and harsh waters. Once a man touched the grounds, there was really not much that could be done to stop him from invading the island. The water was its primary defense and the fleet its area of military expertise.

"And who fights the best at sea?" Edmund prompted.

"Pirates. Are you trying to throw in my face just how much of a pathetic position I am in?"

"No. I am trying to throw in your face the fact that the only way you can save Elmcaster now with that little amount of men is by making an alliance with me."

The King sighed and grabbed a goblet of wine from one of the serving girls.

"I don't have much to pay you. I've promised a lot of my wealth away to others."

"Oh you have a lot you can pay me with." Edmund said, a lazy smile spreading across his sharp, scarred face.

"Be blunt."

"You must have heard about my daughter-"

"Lily."

"I see you remember." The pirate king said and getting up from his place, walked to the King.

"I do. What about her?"

"Timothee is a man grown now and soon would be sitting on the throne you hold. He is going to need a queen. I will send every single man of my army to fight for you, all our finest ships and weapons and flame-throwers, just for you- only if you marry Timothee to Lily."

"But isn't she in love with that stable boy?" King Chalamet inquired.

"That is another fly I am trying to catch. If she marries your handsome, able son, she will realise she had been loving the wrong man all this time. He is a low-born, she is a princess and there is no way I will let them marry."

"Send in every ounce of power from your end and as soon as the battle is over, I will welcome Lily as Timothee's bride." King Chalamet promised after a long, hard silence and Edmund pulled him up to embrace him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n

aaaaaaand, the drama begins.