raining steel

"and now allow me to announce the arrival of the sun and stars of the kingdom, the young man who shall lead us someday and just as well as his father has, for whom we have all assembled here, the to be King of the realm, Prince Timothee Chalamet!"

the knight announced as the great doors to the ballroom swung open and in walked Timothee, a velvet red cloak lined with fur adorning his handsome self, his sword intact by his side. his loose brown curls swept back for the occasion.

he took slow, intimidating strides as a small band of soldiers ceremoniously marched at his sides to the sound of trumpets and drumbeats and his kings guard followed him.

to Saoirse, he looked no less than a lion that walked his territory, afraid of no one and scared of nothing- not even fate. Timothee's jaw was set in a hard line, making his razor sharp face look more defined.

in the hall, everyone rose to their seats, bowing respectfully to the prince as he made his way to his royal parents, sitting atop the throne at the head of the hall, with other lieges from kingdoms all around seated in close proximity around them on their assigned seats.

he bowed back curtly as he reached the front and then proceeded to personally greet the guests.

when he reached the Prince of Brookwood and his sister, he let a little smile slip as he embraced the prince in a brotherly hug.

"I hope you like it here at Elmcaster. someone has been especially attentive to your needs and comforts." Timothee spoke, winking at his sister in an attempt to tease her.

"oh I already love every bit of it." the prince replied back, smiling a little wider.

"the other guests await your greetings, go now." Pauline said, blushing furiously.

"hurrying me out of my own event? really polite of you sister." Timothee retorted, feigning offense, but before she could reply, he left them alone to converse again.

.

timothee had danced a few dances, with ladies from kingdoms he had never visited. he knew he had a certain charm when it came to women but to have them all throwing themselves at him, all at once, in a single event was a bit overwhelming.

he retired to his seat by his parents as he grew tired of the affair but on his way, he accidently bumped into a serving girl carrying a tray of wine and the liquid spilled all over his breeches and shoes.

"I... I am so sorry my lord, I didn't -" the girl began but before she could panic any further, a rushing Saoirse came to their aid and sent the girl away.

"I am sorry on her behalf, my prince, if you'd only come with me, I should be able to get you new clothes and clean the soiled ones." she offered.

Timothee only smiled in amusement. he had never understood why the staff got so scared upon committing trivial human blunders such as this, and expected him to behead them? surely they must realise he had more important things at hand than beheading servants? besides the guillotine was reserved for specific criminals.

"after you." Timothee replied, the amused smirk in place as Saoirse looked up in disbelief.

she had almost expected him to refuse her offer and go off alone like he usually did but she didn't say anything and just started walking out of the ballroom, Timothee close by.

"now that we are at it, warm me a bath as well, it has been a tiring day." Timothee said, stifling a yawn.

before Saoirse could reply, out of nowhere, an arrow flew their way and pierced one of the kingdom flags hanging outside a chamber. within seconds, it rained steel and pointed tips and Saoirse felt strong hands grabbing her by the waist and pulling her into one of the chambers.

"are you hurt?! stay here and do not move out!" timothee almost yelled as Saoirse's eyes widened in fear.

"no, no, I am not, are you, my lord?" she said breathlessly but she did not get an answer as Timothee, grabbing a shield adorning one of the walls, made his way out of the chamber, keeping close to the walls.

by this time, the shower of arrows had dimmed down a little and he could see the soldiers of his kingdom, fighting some foreign ones- swords clashed against shields and spears pierced  flesh, there was blood spilling all around as Timothee made his way toward the chamber of his war commander, dodging off arrows and duelling with a soldier or two before he crippled them or drove his sword through their chests.

as he reached the tower where his commander was supposed to be, he got surrounded by a dozen soldiers, trapping him in a circle, outnumbering him. Timothee held his breath as he desperately tried to think of a way to escape their blockade and enter the tower but just as a couple of soldiers charged at him, he heard the neighing of a horse and before him he saw, something he had never expected to even dream of.

Saoirse came in, riding a black stallion, effectively trampling a couple of soldiers as she swung her sword from the horseback to slice the neck of another. the war horn of the castle blared as her steel rang through the night and he would have watched her fight for longer had the remaining soldiers not decided to come his way. his shield kept off the attacks of a couple while he kicked the shins of another who approached him and as the man fell, Timothee drove his sword into his back, and then drawing it out of the dead soldier, duelled two others simultaneously.

as the two swordsmen, fell to their knees he turned around to see Saoirse struggling with keeping off the remaining soldiers. timothee ran to her aid and after some more bloodshed and 6 more dead soldiers, he commanded her to get off the horse and follow him inside the tower.

"I believe I was clear when I said that you were to stay in the chamber." he said through gritted teeth as they ran up the stairs, watching out for any other enemy soldiers that might be awaiting their chance to attack them.

"you didn't have armor and helmet and all you had to defend yourself was your longsword and shield, i couldn't have let you go off to fight with that little protection." she replied.

"so you decided to follow me out? do you realise you could have been killed?"

"my life is not half as important as yours."

timothee just huffed out an annoyed sigh as they walked down the corridor to the solar of the commander.

"where did you even learn to use a sword? those were not amateur moves."

"your own castle master, my lord." Saoirse replied.

timothee didn't have the time to be surprised and cross question her as the commander came running out his chamber, dressed in leather and armor, a guard of soldiers following him.

"my liege! i have allocated soldiers to every part of the castle. more defenders have been sent to the walls and the ballroom's guard has been doubled. the attackers couldn't reach there before our soldiers and i doubt that they are still there.

"i will have a word with you once this is over. this castle and the fortress of the city was supposed to be guarded so well even a raven couldn't fly past." Timothee spoke in a low, dangerous tone, as his emerald eyes ferociously stared at the commander.

"i am sorry my lord, this seems like an internal rebellion-"

"i do not care to discuss it right now," timothee bellowed and a chill ran down Saoirse's spine.

"Saoirse? help me put on mail and leather and for god's sake stay inside this once."