prologue

For SKS
For Elemelons
For Adhwant

SUNDOWN

"Let everything happen to you, beauty and terror, just keep going, no feeling is final."
-Rainer Maria Rilke

Disclaimer

This work in no way intends to create pressure upon the actors involved in the book to indulge into relationships they do not want. It is purely fiction and must be treated that way. Although real names of people have been used but this work in no way represents their personalities or lifestyles. They are merely just faces for a fictional world and none of this is real or intends to portray the actual self of any person involved.

With all due respect to everyone whose name and face I chose for the book and all the people conforming to their respective fandoms reading this, please sit back, relax, get yourself some snacks and enjoy the ride <3

"The fort has been captured, your majesty. would you like a record of casualties and other wins and losses right now?" Hawklin, the prime minister to King Marc of Elmcaster Isles spoke in his usual calm voice.

"Not right now, but I do wish to see the defeated man." The king stated as he took another sip of red wine from his half-empty glass.

"At your command, Your Highness." Hawklin left the king's chamber, after nodding curtly.

King Marc looked toward his queen, Nicole, who was presently cradling their sleeping son in her arms while their daughter, Pauline, a bright girl of 3, sat examining a bowl of grapes in her hands.

"Timothee is going to be just as brave as you someday." The queen said, smiling down at the beautiful baby in her arms.

"He is going to be even braver, my beloved."

"Bwave!" Pauline exclaimed in delight, having learned a new word.

King Marc picked her up in his strong arms and seated her on his lap.

"Yes, my moonlit angel, very brave. both of you will be so brave."

Pauline just chuckled in her father's lap, stroking the lapels of the long fur cape he wore.

"I see she's got an eye for good fashion." The queen stated, smiling and before the king could respond, Hawklin's voice was heard from outside the chamber.

"Your Grace, I'm here with the fallen king, may we enter?"

"Pauline, go to your mother and try to sleep." King Marc whispered to his daughter who obediently got off his lap and scurried away to her mother who was in the back of the magnanimous room.

"You may." The king said, standing up and assuming an authoritative tone.

Hawklin came in, followed by a man, not much older than the king himself, in shackles, blood smeared all over his emotionless countenance, two royal guards at his flanks.

"You could've saved all the bloodshed Elliot, if you had peacefully returned our soldiers when they were asked for."  King Marc remarked.

"I couldn't have surrendered, not like that." The man in shackles spoke and his voice shook with strain.

"Oh but you have now."

"At least I fought for it." Elliot spat.

"And lost. Very well, any last wishes? I don't want your foul heart beating for long."

"Give refuge to my family in good faith or release them. My queen is pregnant." Elliot said and marc saw his eyes softening slightly.

"I give you my word, they'll be taken good care of, at all times. They will be as much a part of this castle as any of its other inhabitants. Hawklin, take him away now and let the hangman make the preparations." The king commanded and turned away from his men.

"May the king-to-be become a kinder man!" the fallen ruler yelled while being escorted out.

"Shut up!" Marc heard Hawklin shriek and then somebody being smacked.

Marc closed his eyes and opened them to look at the ceiling above him, covered in motifs.

"My queen, raise the prince to be a kind yet rational man. That is important."

"I will, your majesty." the queen spoke and raised the baby's forehead to her lips.