honesty

"Summon the people to the amphitheatre." Timothee commanded as soon as he set foot in the castle premises.

"Will be done my liege, anything else?" Hawklin asked.

"Where is the woman?"

"Safely locked in the dungeons. Shall I bring her to you for an inquisition?"

"That would not be necessary at the moment. Fetch me Ansel though."

As soon as Timothee said that, Ansel came out from one of the portcullises with a few other men.

"Your Highness." Ansel greeted as soon as he caught sight of them and made his way toward Timothee.

"I'd like to speak privately with the Prince, gentlemen. I'll see you in the court." Timothee spoke and in the blink of an eye, they were left alone.

"Did you meet Pauline?" He asked.

"I haven't had the chance to. I was making sure the survivors had been locked up appropriately and-"

"Thankyou." Timothee cut in.

"Don't, Timmy. You're like family."

"I hope you know Elmcaster would never forget the support from Brookwood and we would extend the same services whenever required."

"I do." Ansel responded, a small smile making its way on his mouth.

"Before... Before my lord father died. Gods, it's hard to say that out loud."

"The grief is fresh. Take your time."

"He was going to announce my sister's betrothal to you. I'm sure your parents must have told you that." Timothee spoke after a pause.

"They did, yes. What about it?"

"He couldn't do it but I want to. Tonight."

*

When Timothee walked into the court, he found all the people he had asked for waiting patiently for him.

He was going to sit atop that throne for the first time.

He really was and he hoped his wavering confidence did not manifest itself into his demeanour.

His fingers glided over the carved, gold handles before finally taking his place as the rightful King of Elmcaster.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sure you must have gotten to know about it already but I officially break it to you that we have been victorious in the war efforts that were pursued in the previous few weeks."

As soon as he said so, the lords and ladies in the court burst into applause. He looked around and saw his mother and sister seated behind a veiled curtain with the other ladies. He shot them a smile.

Am I doing well?

"I request all of your presences in the amphitheatre in some time, where I shall officially announce this to the public along with some other necessary decisions. You may take your leaves."

The attendees of the meeting congratulated him again before leaving and giving a few final instructions to Hawklin, he turned to his family.

"Mum." He said as he walked over to where they were seated and enveloped her in a hug.

"Timmy." She whispered into his shoulder. When had her bright, little boy grown up so much?

"How has your health been?" He asked.

"I'll be fine. Are you hurt? You're still in your armour."

"Nothing too bad." He reassured her and turned to his sister.

He noticed how worn she looked but she put up a smile for him and disentangling from his mother, he pulled Pauline into his chest.

For the first time in a while, Pauline felt like she could stop holding on so tight to the illusion of control she had. She could let go, it was fine and that was when she broke down.

"It's okay, I'm here now. Shh." Timothee cooed into her ear, stroking her chestnut hair.

Their mother tried her best to not give in and cry as well as she watched her children be so brave. Marc would have been so proud, she thought.

"Timothee?" Someone called from outside the veils and letting go of his sister, the King parted it to reveal Ansel.

"What's wrong?"

"King Edmund wishes to see you, He's outside. I'll escort the ladies to their bedchambers." Ansel offered.

The pirate king. He had almost forgotten about him and Lily.

"Thankyou. I'll go meet with him." Timothee said as he let Ansel in and walked out, hoping the king was not as hard to deal with as he was expecting.

*

"Congratulations on the victory! My brave, brave king!" Edmund exclaimed as soon as he caught sight of Timothee and rushed to shake both of his hands.

"Thankyou, my lord. I hope what you have to say is important, I'd really like some rest before I have to address my people."

"Oh it is. I'd like to express my grief upon the loss of your father first. I hope you know the pirates stand in solidarity with you and share your grief."

"Oh yes? Including the two thirds of you who ran away deserting my men in the battlefield?" Timothee snapped.

"That was unfortunate, my liege, but the rest of us fought valiantly."

"They were your responsibility too. A good King knows how to hold his men."

Edmund's face twisted in anger at that but he knew better than to express it.

"Coming to the point, my liege. I was wondering whether you'd announce your betrothal to Lily tonight as well?"

Timothee sighed and crossed his hands before his chest. He was desperately trying to think of something appropriate to say but in that moment, he knew nothing but honesty would be the best path to walk down on.

"I will not be marrying your daughter, Edmund. That was my father's decision. Not mine."

"BUT I UPHELD MY END OF THE DEAL!" The pirate countered, his voice rising several octaves higher.

"Barely."

"But my daughter-"

"Deserves to be happy, you absolute moron. She is a woman, not a coin you can purchase prestige and alliances with. She loves somebody else and if he makes her happy, it's not any of your business to interfere in what they want to make of themselves." Timothee thundered. He really had no patience for this man.

"It would be such a disgrace if she marries a lowly man like him! Reconsider your decision, my King. I know she would love you in due time."

"You're worried he does not have the treasures, is that what it is?"

"I... no. It's not entirely like-"

"I'll take care of that problem, Edmund. Lily marries who she wants." Timothee declared and having had enough, he stormed out of there.

--------------

a/n

Another chapter down! Thankyou so much for giving this work your time! Please do not forget to vote and let me know what you think in the comments :)

Also, would you like some Ansel and Pauline scenes?

Take care of yourselves x

Smriti.