Chapter 51: Fear and Answers

Start from the beginning

Oscar: (walks over to a weapon rack) I always knew that I wanted to be more than a farmhand, but this? (places the cane in the rack) Who would ask for this?

Y/N: Oscar...

He glances down at the floor as a tear drips from his eye. He sniffles before kneeling to the floor to reach his backpack. He grabs the cane off the rack and pulls the lever on the handle to compact it before putting it in his backpack.

Ruby: We all went to Beacon because we wanted to help people. But, you're right. None of us asked for this either. We just have to press on and--

Oscar: How can you be so confident?! People have tried to kill you! The world's about to go to war all over again! How are you okay with any of this?!!

Ruby is taken aback by Oscar's question. She frowns as she says her response.

Ruby: When Beacon fell, I lost three of my friends: Penny Polendina, Maria, Asuna and for awhile even Y/N. I didn't know them for very long, but that doesn't change the fact that they were three of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met.

I look down feeling my heart ache hearing Asuna and Maria's names.

Ruby: But that didn't save them. One of my other friends Pyrrha Nikos, thought that if there was even the smallest chance of helping someone, then it was a chance worth taking.

Ruby: And because of that, she went into a battle she knew she couldn't win. Y/N, Asuna, Maria, saved her but in order to protect Y/N, Asuna and Maria died and Y/N was nearly killed along with them. And Penny...was killed... just to make a statement.

Oscar: I'm...sorry.

I clench my fists trying to keep myself from breaking down from the memory of all three of them.

Ruby: I am scared, but not just for me. What happened at Beacon shows that Salem doesn't care if you're standing against her or not. She'll kill anybody, and that scares me most of all.

Ruby: Asuna...Maria....Penny I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt, that I didn't think about them every day since I lost them, that I didn't wish I had spent more time with them. If it had been me instead, I know they would have kept fighting too, no matter how dangerous it was. So that's what I choose to do - to keep moving forward.

Tears fall down my face as I summon the broken hilts of Asuna and Maria seeing the lifeless and shattered blades in my hands.

Y/N: (I'm...so...sorry)

Oscar walks up next to Ruby, and they both share a smile. Ruby wipes tears coming from her eyes with her arm.

Ruby: (putting a hand on Oscar's shoulder) C'mon, if we don't hurry, Nora's gonna eat everything. It wouldn't be the first time.

Suicidal Warning~

I run upstairs and head inside my room as I move up my sleeves seeing the many cuts I left myself as I prepare to use the sharp part of Maria's hilt to make cuts on my right arm.

I feel the sharp edge pierce my skin as I continue to leave small deep cuts on my skin before I switch over to Asuna's hilt to make cuts on my left arm.

Y/N: (crying while still cutting) I'm sorry...I'm sorry....

I stop and use my semblance to clean my wounds with water causing me even more pain from the stinging sensation before using my Aura to heal them leaving scars.

I suddenly feel something split off me as Sanae and Yasuno embrace me causing me to break down fully as the tears continue to fall.

Yasuno: It's okay.