T-H-I-R-T-Y T-W-O

T H I R T Y  T W O

T H I R T Y  T W O

     I released a shaky breath as I sat down on the cold floor. Hugging my legs closer to my chest, I closed my eyes. I tried to think about something else that didn't involve the ugly gray box looking room. I have spent an unknown amount of time in here with two other scary looking women that would not take their eyes off me from the moment I entered the cell.

During the time I have spent in this room, endless thoughts have crossed my mind. Some of them good while others not. It has been a while, but I still couldn't entirely accept all the wrongs that have happened to me these past years to the point that led me to this place.

     People always say that this place even breaks those who think they are tough, and now being in here, I couldn't agree more. I have never considered myself as a tough person that could handle everything thrown at me, but even if I were, this place would still mentally destroy me.

     I believe I have been locked in here for a few hours, but not having anything to do or to distract myself with made it feel like I have been inside this place for years.

Athena promised me that she was working as hard as she could to get me out of here, but as time kept passing by, I started to lose hope. As soon as they came to arrest me in the middle of a call after the truck driver's death a couple of nights ago, I knew there was no way I was going to get out of this.

"Miller, your bail has been posted. You are free to go."A high-pitched beep went off before the gate in front of me slide open.

I stared at the guard standing on the other side as I tried to process her words. Realizing it was not a cruel joke, I quickly got up from the ground and made my way outside of the cell. Not making eye contact with any of the other inmates, I followed the guard down the corridor and out of the cell area, and into the central booking lobby.

From behind a desk, another guard handed me an envelope that contained all my belongings as I signed the papers of my release and the acknowledgment of receiving all my personal belongings. "Someone is waiting for you outside. Have a nice day," the guard kindly said, throwing me a pity look before I exited the county jail.

Standing still for a minute, I took a breath of fresh air in as I felt the sunshine on my face. For the first time, I was grateful for such little things. The hours I spent inside that cell made me believe I was never going to see the time of day, even if this freedom was only temporary.

     Opening my eyes, I was immediately met with a pair of piercing blue eyes that almost made me crumble in front of everyone around us. I was not quite sure who moved first, but I felt Evan wrap his arms around me, holding me tight to his chest. Instantly, I felt a sense of relief and protection, something I didn't feel inside that prison.