T-H-I-R-T-Y

T H I R T Y

T H I R T Y

     "Who's there?"

     All of a sudden, the kitchen light turned on. I stood still for a moment, squinting as my eyes adjusted to the brightness.

     "Jesus, dad!" I whispered-shouted, almost dropping the cup of juice and the cookies I had in my hands. My father stood in front of me with a baseball bat in hand, ready to swing it at me.

"What the hell, Louise?" Lowering the baseball bat, he rubbed his eyes, looking quite frustrated and exhausted. "It's almost six in the morning. You can't blame me for reacting like that."

"So you thought a thief was going to come to steal your organic chocolate chip cookies or something?"

"What are you doing here?"

"In case you have forgotten, today I have a physical therapy appointment, and Dr. Nguyen is going to remove my stitches. Hopefully, she also gives me the all-clear to go back to work because I can't handle staying at the apartment any longer." My lips puckered after taking a sip of the horrible tasting juice my father likes. "Also, I'm going to crash with you for a few days. If that is okay."

"What happened?" My father crossed his arms against his chest, watching me walk towards the fridge. I had no idea when this old man started eating healthy things, but all he had in his fridge and pantry were not sitting well with me.

"We need to go grocery shopping. All these things taste horrible. Since when you started eating this stuff?" I said, inspecting a container with what looked like tofu.

"Agatha," He pressed, using his fatherly voice that only got out whenever I was in trouble or about to get a life teaching moment.

"Nothing happened. I can't spend quality time with my father?" I shrugged, rolling my eyes at him. He didn't budge, not even for a second.

"Unannounced and at 6 am?" My dad arched an eyebrow at me. I sighed, knowing he was not going to drop the subject no matter how many lies I tell him. Ever since I was little, he always had a way of knowing when I was lying. Something that I grew to hate with time. "If I remember correctly, we agreed that Buck was going to take you to the appointments. So tell me what happened between you two?"

"Ugh, nothing dad, last night during a call, we had a minor situation with an ex, and we both acted weird about it. I honestly don't want to be home whenever he gets back from work in like two hours, so I decided to crash here last night to avoid the whole awkwardness." I admitted in complete defeat as I continued to search the refrigerator.