S-I-X-T-E-E-N

S I X T E E N

S I X T E E N

A few months ago, I decided to move to California for two reasons. The first one being the fact that I did not want to lose my job. I worked hard to get to where I am just to let it all go to waste. At the same time, it is a job that I love doing. The second reason was the primary reason why I am even here in L.A. I agreed to the transfer because I needed to leave the lie I was living in Florida behind. I naively believed that moving, the past would stop haunting me, but like everything else in my life so far, I was wrong.

Now the past that haunts me whenever I close my eyes is here ready to bring back the pain that took what felt like an eternity to heal.

"Oh, damn it!"

I jumped back in my seat as the man laying in the gurney with a nail in his chest cursed.

"What's wrong?" asked Chimney removing his hands from the man's body.

"I didn't say I love you back to my daughter. What if that's the last time I speak to her?"

A smile formed on my lips. At the same time, my heart ached a little. Things did not end well between dad and me the last time we saw each other. I have tried to reach out to him multiple times since the day he left, but every single time either he does not answer my calls, or I hang up quickly, not knowing what to say to him. I would give anything at this very moment to have him by my side while I try to deal with all the emotions that are taking over me after seeing Ian again.

"Don't worry. You'll have plenty more chances to tell her," Chimney patted the man's arm reassuringly.

"Chim, did you place these leads correctly?"  Hen asked, making me look over at the electrocardiogram monitor.

"Of course I did, why?"

"Because he is about to code," I exclaimed, reaching over for the bag valve mask, quickly putting it over the man's mouth as Chimney got ready to start compressions.

Once Chimney started the compressions, blood oozed out of the wound. "I think I'm making the hole bigger,"

"They'll fix that in the hospital, but only if he is not dead," Hen tried to calm him down.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a second ready to continue with the air pumps.

Please, wake up. Don't do this to your daughter. Wake up. I kept repeating these words until I felt a warm liquid on my face.

"Yep, the heart is beating again," Chimney acknowledge, his face covered with blood. I could not help but laugh as blood squirted out of the wound with every heartbeat.

Any other person that was not aware of the situation inside this ambulance would probably think that this was a murder scene. The four of us, including the patient and the inside of the ambulance, was covered in blood.