O-N- E

O N E

O N E

Starting over in a new place was nothing I was not used to.

Coming from a military family, I was used to moving from place to place, leaving behind places I grew to love, friends that I thought would be in my life forever, and the future I always planned for myself in those places. The difference this time was that I was not that kid that had to follow her parents everywhere they went either I wanted to or not, not anymore.

I had a pretty good life back in Florida; close friends, a great job that I loved doing, and even a guy that I thought was going to be the one, but things happened, and here I was in Los Angeles, California. A place that I never saw myself in. I was never into crowded cities, which is kind of dumb, considering I lived in Florida for the past seven years.

"What is with the pout?"

Looking away from the LA traffic, I rolled my eyes at my uncle.

"This whole thing is ridiculous and unfair,"

"Well, Agatha, it was either this or being fired,"

"It is still unfair," I exclaimed. "I don't even want to be here."

Robert sighed as he pulled up in his driveway. "You had more than ten reprimands and then whatever happened with your Captain was the last straw,"

At the mention of my Captain, I could feel the anger in me bubbling up. "The reprimands were for stupid reasons, and that idiot should've been transferred, not me."

"Look, even after all the stupid things you did, according to you, and the issue with the Captain of your house, the Chief knew how much potential you have and instead of firing you as he should have done in the first place, he decided to transfer you."

"You think he should've fired me?" I asked incredulously. This man was my uncle, my blood, yet here he was taking someone else's side without knowing mine.

"No, I—" he sighed, shaking his head before turning in his seat to face me. "As a Captain myself, I believe that you should have been fired after all those reprimands. I fired one of my guys not so long ago after many reprimands, but like your Chief, I saw potential in him and decided to give him his job back. As your uncle, I agree with you that your Captain was the one that needed to be transferred and not you, but you agreed to the option they gave you, so it is time for you to be grateful that you still have your job and for getting your life back together."

I shook my head in defeat while getting out of the car. It has been a rough couple of weeks, and the last thing I needed today was a lecture from my uncle.

"Are you having a party today or something?" I asked, noticing all the cars in front of the house.

"Athena and I are throwing a surprise party for one of my guys for getting his firefighter certification back," Bobby explained, helping me get my luggage out of the trunk.