T-H-I-R-T-Y F- I-V-E (Finale of Book 1)

T H I R T Y  F I V E

     I closed my eyes tightly, scared to open them, and find myself with a gory mess. Without saying anything, I took a deep breath and rolled to the side, getting off from Chloe while taking the gun from her grip.

     Relief rushed through me after realizing that the bullet did not hit either me or Chloe. Not even thinking twice, I unloaded the magazine from the gun and threw it across the room far away from her.

From the look she had on her face, I knew that she was also relieved that she did not manage to do what she intended to do. The things she has managed to do to me were enough for anyone to want her to disappear, but I couldn't make myself want that. No matter how horrible she has been, in reality, she's sick and needs all the help she can get. If I was the only one she had to help her, then so be it.

"Where did you put my radio?" I questioned, looking around the room. The smoke was starting to become unbearable to breathe. We had to get out of here before it was too late.

Chloe covered her face. Her hands were visibly shaking. "Downstairs." She whispered between sobs. "We are going to die, aren't we?"

    "Not today." I quickly got up from the floor and touched the door with the back of my hand. The handle was still cold, indicating that the fire was not close to us yet. "Stay where you are. I'm going to see if we can leave the house without getting hurt."

Covering my nose and mouth with my shirt, I opened the door. As soon as the door opened, a vast cloud of smoke blurred my eyesight for a couple of seconds.

Shit. I said under my breath, realizing that the fire was already at the bottom of the stairs blocking our way to the door. There had to be another way out.

     I went down the hallway and opened the door at the very end. The room was practically still empty, with boxes lying around. What caught my eye was the multiple windows around the room. We couldn't get out through them by ourselves, but it would be easy for us to get rescue by firefighters.