9

"Maybe I should take back what I said. It's hot out here."
I'm practically panting from the heat of the sun. Ukai just sticks his nose up.
"You said we could play. No take backs. Plus if we win we get a free dinner."
"So you think we'll win?"

"Oh I don't think so. I know we'll win. Cmon just remember when we played each other."

"True true, but this is beach volleyball. It's slightly different still."

"As if that's a problem. You can just depend on me to win if you need to of course."

He winks and flexes a muscle. I roll my eyes.
We walk to the stand where we sign up.
A lady greets us.
"Hi! Here for the volleyball tournament?"
He nods and writes down our names.
"Remember it starts in about an hour and the winner gets a great prize."

"Yeah the dinner right?"
She smiles. "Correct!"

We thank her and head back to our towels.
My stomach rumbles.
"I'm sooo hungry, but eating right before a game might not be the best idea."
I look over and Ukai's already digging in.

"Screw it. Who cares." I grab some chips and start chowing down.

We finish eating and I look for my cover up.
"Hey have you seen my cover up anywhere?"

He glances around and shakes his head.
"Aww man it was right here, I-"
He pulls my cover up out of the sand. It looks like it was stomped on.

"Seriously?! I can't play volleyball in just the bathing suit. I was gonna wear this too."

"You can use my shirt if you want."
He passes me a white shirt.
"Really? Are you sure?"

He nods. "Yeah. You need it a lot more than I do."
Now this would be 2 times he's given me something to wear.
"Thank you."

He laughs a little after I put it on.
"Sorry it's just kinda big on you. You look adorable."

A..adorable!
"I'm not that small!"

"Yeah okay whatever you say."

"You're just mad because you're an old m-"

"Hey don't you dare call me an old man again!"

A few people around us stare. His cheeks blush slightly in embarrassment.
"Oops. I think we should just get ready for the tournament."
"Yes I agree", I say while laughing.

We walk to where a few nets have been set up and stand under an umbrella for shade.
After a few minutes a men steps out with a sheet of paper.

"Hello everyone. You're here either to watch or play and right here in my hand I have the matches set up. I will call your name out and who you are up against as well as what bet you will be at. We don't want to make everyone tired, so there will only be one set played against each team and first one to 12 wins! Now let's get to the names."

He starts calling out people. We are told we will be playing the winner at net 4, so we aren't playing just yet. I'm kinda happy about that. I always get nervous right before games, even if this was one is completely harmless.
He puts his hand on my shoulder.

"We got this and even if we don't win who cares! Let's just have fun."
I nod. Yeah he's right. Let's just have fun.

A whistle sounds and the match at net 4 is over. Now it's our turn.

Sorry this chapter is pretty short! I wanted to end it here then continue with the matches next chapter! Also merry Christmas guys! ❤️❤️I hope you enjoy it.