No Limit Writing: Part II Setting A Commitment

***A note about this post: First, thanks for making it this far. I really do hope the posts have been helping you in your writing quest, and maybe giving you a smile or laugh along the way. The following part was originally written August 2014. Mostly I wanted to mention it, because I was reflecting on losing a friend to a water skiing accident. When serious, painful events happen, it really makes you reflect. So, I tried to preserve the writing in context as much as possible. Sometimes you have to grab the moment and write about it. So, I wanted to share it as much with you true to form as possible.

Again, I appreciate the support and messages. If this section helped you, please remember to

VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE with others. I read and answer all the messages I receive. Enjoy!

First written: August 2014

I am a little late with my update. Plus, it was my first day back to work for the day job. Factor in the fact I had a good friend die in a horrible, water skiing accident. Really, I’m not kidding. I wish I could be kidding. I’ve been upset the last two days. Add the fact that my birthday is next week, and that I’ve just watched Reality Bites(1994). I did the math and that movie is over 20 years old. Tonight, I’m really in a reviewing the situation moment.

Sometimes, you have to factor in real life into your writing equation. But that is what happens to writers. We balance real life with paying the mortgage jobs, promotion and marketing, editing, revision, and first draft writing.

I’ve been toggling between projects, and reworking my schedule as I return to the day job. I’m working on several projects and organizing a blog tour for the beginning of school. Yes, I’ve been busy this summer. But the weird thing about all the things that have happened over the last month is the reflection on how to keep the writing flowing. I don’t want the creative process that has happened this summer to stop.

So, I’ve established a no limit writing plan, with a schedule of writing once a day for an hour. This ranges from first draft, to revision, to blog writing. Yes this post counts right now. And I have to say, it has done wonders just to make sure I sit down once a day for an hour. I’ve been participating on a writing board thread that basically is a whole bunch of writers reporting on how much they write. Really, I’m finding with an hour a day at least I can get a lot done.

So, no matter what is happening in my day, I’ve committed to that. I also read through a friend’s story and gave her feedback. That counted. This way, I’m not limiting or giving excuses for not writing. I’m allowing for what work needs to be done to flow on that day. The thing about self publishing is that you can schedule your projects to fit your life’s schedule.

I’m happy to say that I’ve gotten a novelette through two revisions, and I’ve scheduled it to go to my editor by September. I’ve been organizing a Back to School Blog Tour, but will mostly work on it on the weekend now. But I’m keeping my sanity by allowing a time for it to be scheduled. And I’ll be happy on Saturday to let the thought process flow. For now, just an hour a day on something writing related keeps my commitment to myself.

Most of all, don’t limit what you can do. If I thought I can’t write romance novels, I wouldn’t have a novelette series in the works and a Time Travel novel half through it’s first draft. We’ll have to see how it all turns out. But my biggest phrase is to just keep writing. You never know what project will turn into the bestseller. (Since then, I've finished two novelettes, have one new adult novel on Wattpad, a short story in an anthology called Stories On the Go, and am almost sending off the third novelette to my editor. Stil amazed all this has happened.)

Setting a commitment of one hour might allow me to find the next good book. Hopefully, it will be that bestseller. And even if it’s not and I sell some copies, it will lead me to the next book. That good book may take 20 other books before it. All I need is eventually that one to hit it big. And committing to writing one hour a day will help we keep writing until I get there.

 ****Please remember to VOTE, COMMENT, and SHARE: It's greatly appreciated!*********

Thank you for stopping by and reading the newest part of "Writing Romance". I'm starting to feel the love of followers waiting for each part/chapter to be posted each week. Please keep it up! You all are motivating me to keep going. It's so helpful and appreciated to read your comments. 

For information about me and what's going on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marilyn.vix

Website: http://marilynvix.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarilynVix