The Cat As Your Editor: And Other Tips On Editing

****Authors Note: The following post was posted on my blog in July 2013. I'd been working on Never Marry A Warlock, and was sending it to my editor soon. I was reflecting on this when I noticed how much my cat helped out. Hopefully, it will make you smile or even agree it your cat is the same. At the end are some personal notes on my experiences with my editor. I hire a freelance editor, and what I've learned from the experience is worth it. Enjoy!

***Please remember to comment, vote and share. It really does help others on Wattpad to find the information. 

July 2013

I’ve just recently finished a novellette that has me totally jazzed. The romance writer inside me is still putting out. I’ve already got ideas for the second book, and starting to imagine a third. It’s got a fast, action paced voice and tough fireball welding modern witch main character. So, to get feedback as soon as I typed the last word, I turned to the rock to my Gibraltar, the cat.

She is the little confidant that keeps me company as I write. She will often curl up next to the lap top as I’m feverishly trying to type the next novel. Every once in a while I give her a good scratch on the back of her neck. The purring rewards me to write further and further until I reach a stopping place.

I have to admit. Cat’s make the best editors. They spur you on with a purr, and listen intently for any problems. If there are extensive issues you are pounding away at, they may interrupt the writing process by walking over the keyboards thus inducing well needed stop time to sort it out. Of course, it’s most likely time to feed them, but sometimes a cat has an innate sense of when to take a break.

Keep in mind, my cat Samantha is a good source of support. Like any cat, she prefers the lap method, where she’ll lounge for as long as you watch TV or write. When writing, she chooses the spot nearest the laptop computer. Sometimes there is jealousy between the laptop and her. I can tell from the stomping across the keys Samantha may apply while I’m writing. Or it’s just a battle for lap space. But in the end, she helps get a point across. It’s time to pay attention to what I’m saying.

I celebrate my successful first draft moments, or editing run throughs with a chat with the cat. “Kitty, it’s done. Finally.” In which I get a big, meow or stare that reminds me, it’s time to feed her again. If it wasn’t for her, sometimes I wouldn’t leave the book’s world. It’s good to know who will bring me back to reality.

Just like any editor, she can be very persuasive in her pleas. I thank her for that. I like straight and honest. If the cat didn’t set off the food alarm, there would be no time to reflect on what I’d written. Or I’d still think it was all just crap. No matter how you look at it, she’s an integral part of my writing process. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Afterward:

Now for some secrets in finding that editor. If you are doing anything that is self-published, it is a good idea to have an editor. I hire a freelance editor called Shelly Holloway. Her website is: http://hollowayhouse.me/. I found her from posts on my writing board at kboards.com/writerscafe . Her prices vary on the word length of the project. Luckily, she has a wide background of what genres she excepts, including romance. 

The important thing is that there are a lot of freelance editors that you can choose from. It can be as easy as posting a thread on a writing board, like I did, to have other editors compete for your project.

Many will give you a sample edit. This is when you email a page or two to them, and they give you a sample of the type of editing they will do. This is often at no charge. In fact, I did have an editor say they would charge $200 just to look at a chapter. Shelly sent me a sample with just the first few pages. I went with her. I worked better with her, and the other editor was seemingly more interested in money upfront. That is a red flag. You want an editor interested in working with you, not how much money you can give them.

Fees range from a few hundred dollars to $1,000 depending on the length. This is the normal price range. But it shouldn't be thousands. I steered away from people that charged that much. I just couldn't afford it anyway. 

There are different types of editing as well. One type is developmental editing where the editor helps with plot, and working out the rough spots in your manuscript. Then, there is proofreading. That is where the grammar and spelling get a thorough check. Many readers will especially be hard on spelling errors and grammar problems if they are left unsolved. 

That is an overview of what I've learned in hiring my editor. I really loved the fact I had editors sending me samples, and competing for my business. But I also wanted to find an editor I could work with. 

If you have any questions on how to find an editor, or about editing: please feel free to post in the comments section. I'll answer them and it will add to this section. In the end, I want everyone reading to walk away with answers on how to start a project. If I can help in anyway, please let me know with a comment.

*****Remember, vote and share! The more that know about this book, the more writers I can help. I appreciate you for reading! Thank you.

For more information on Marilyn Vix:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marilyn.vix

Website: http://marilynvix.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarilynVix