The Wattys Are Here: Let the Games Begin!

What are the Wattys? It's Wattpad's version of their annual award. It's the Oscars for writing on the internet. This is an award that it certainly is an honor to be nominated. Why? The exposure! Talk about a way to get your writing into the hands of many. Here's the bottom line: If you win a Watty, you get promoted by Wattpad's main site and on Wattpad's social media. You get an award sticker to add to your cover. Stories that win this award jump into the millions of reads category.

How can you get in on this award action? They've updated the way to enter and it changes each year. Mostly, it has changed to 50K stories that are complete, but they've added a new "Ongoing Story" category that has to be 20K or more. So, the opportunities continue for each year. The best way to find out if you're up to meeting the Watty challenge is to check out the Watty Award website here: https://www.wattpad.com/wattys/.

If you're not on Wattpad as a writer yet, think about jumping in and trying it. You could already be on Wattpad as a reader. Just try writing a story. The catch: excerpts from novels won't count. A lot of writer's will put up some of their self-published novels as a taste of the book hoping people will go buy it. Unfortunately, these excerpts don't count for the Wattys. It needs to be the whole story available on Wattpad. Unless, it's the new ongoing story category. Then, you have to keep making sure it's updated and ongoing during the August to October window before the shortlist is announced. If you're going to be working on a story anyway, it's a good inspiration to get started now.

So, to everyone out there, good luck! Those who want to join in the fun, there is still time. Open an account at Wattpad.com,  and write your story. Let's cross our fingers together.

This is an exciting time to be on Wattypad. Come join the fun, and if you missed the entering deadline, see how things run this year to prepare for the award. Winners will be announced in the Fall. Fingers crossed starting now!

Good luck to everyone this year! This new category of ongoing stories is interesting.