How to Add Spice to Your Love Scenes

So in Romance, there is always the element of what will come out of people falling in love, the big "S" word. Rhymes with mess. *wink*

In Romance writing, this is what is called the Spice level. You can show up to kissing, and then fade to black, implying that your characters had an intimate moment, and you join them after like on TV. Or you can take your reader through all the intimate details. It really depends on how "Spicey" you want to make your romance.

I've seen spice levels measured in 1-5, with anywhere from sweet being 1 to being erotica at 5. There is a lot of romances in between. Of course, write what you feel comfortable with writing. I do have a tendancy to include the intimate details and make it spicey, because I think those details are important to the relationship. But some people like different levels. Usually, the cover will tell you. Those shirtless guy covers, spicey. Sweet romances, girl holding guy in long flowing dress, etc.

So, now, how do you write it? There are some things to help. First, get into your characters. What makes them comfortable is probably what you like or what you've experienced. But how do you know to ease them into the mood? I've got a list to help. It's called the 12 Steps to Intimacy.

I've heard this list a couple of times in romance workshops and conferences. It is how you show that emotional connection, and can be done with tags or build up between the two protags. I'm listing the 1-10, the last two is for full mature audiences, and you can go search for "12 Steps to Intimacy" and find out the last few steps if you want. They get into when to touch those intimate parts. Those of you that have had experiences with that can probably guess the order. *wink*

The whole list goes through the actions to build intimacy between your two main characters. This can be done when they first meet and through several scenes until the ultimate first "hook up", however that may be.

1) Eye to body

2) Eye to Eye

3) Voice to Voice

4) Hand to Hand (or arm)

5) Arm to shoulder (or neck)

6) Arm to waist (or back)

7) Hand to Head

8) Mouth to Mouth

9) Hand to Body

10-12 is getting to personal areas

***Can be looked up, but you get the drift.

It makes the build up slow and a believable connection. Then, action tags can be used with dialogue in between to build tension. Best is to do these in stages, with eye to body, eye to eye, and voice to voice with the first meeting. Next three steps in the next meeting, and you might need to repeat the steps up through 8 for the first kiss.

YA to Adult Romance will use these steps, but will do fade to black from steps 8 and on depending on what is called "Spice" level. You add more steps for the spiciness. Of course, all 12 steps are used for mature stories. And for other names for those private parts, there are thesauruses that can be used for "spicey" references so it isn't too clinical. A lot are on-line. Depending on the type of romance or spice level will determine how far you go or reveal of the steps.

The best thing to remember is to follow what your characters would naturally do. I usually let them guide me, and become a fly on the wall. In the end, your reader has been waiting for this moment, so you've got to make it memorable and emotional as well as physical. Most of all, enjoy it. Get a glass of wine, if you can drink, and get into the mood. Play some music that will inspire you, and go for it. You never know, you can surprise yourself once you get going. The more you write love scenes, the more you'll get used to it, and it will become easier.