Chapter 12 - The Birthday

Songs in this Chapter

- The Most Beautiful Things - Tenille Townes

Olivia stood on the side of a quiet road looking across over to a forest of trees. She'd thought about crossing the road a few times but couldn't bring herself to. She just stood staring at the spot where a few trees had been knocked over and never grown back.

She wasn't too sure how long she'd been stood there really.

When she left Reggie that morning she had gone back home and had breakfast with Sarah before she had to go work, she looked like she'd been crying too. 

After that she just went out for a walk not planning to end up where she had. She felt like something wanted her there, something or someone wanted her to face it, maybe it would help with the healing.

"What's she doing?" Luke said standing next to Julie. The boys had followed as Julie had walked to where the red head was, stopping just down the road a bit so she didn't see them yet.

"This is where it happened, this is where they died." Julie said not taking her eyes off her friend. The boys looking down at Julie worry in their eyes.

"But why is she here? Whats so special about today?" Alex said taking a step forward, he wanted to run to her but Reggie put a hand on his shoulder knowing a ghost hug was not what she wanted.

"It's her mums birthday today. She hasn't been back here since it happened I guess."

They waited a couple more minutes before walking up to her. Julie put her arm around her shoulders as they both looked over the quiet road.

"Do you want to go over?" Julie said after Olivia hadn't said anything for a while.

"No, I think I'm ok, I just...I don't know really I didn't plan on walking here I just did." She took her eyes off the spot for the first time in hours to turn around and face the boys meeting Reggie's eyes.

"She loved birthdays" She let out a little laugh as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Oh yeah, how crazy did she go?" Alex said wanting her to think about happy memories of her mum.

"One year she rented a bouncy castle, a DJ and a cotton candy machine it was mental! Do you remember Julie?"

"Yeah wasn't it for her 35? or 37?" Julie said laughing remembering the whole carnival she'd put on.

"Wait it wasn't for you? You made it sound like a kids party" Luke said wide eyed at the girls laughing.

"No! All for her, that was my mum one big kid really, she loved it. She would have liked you guys too." She looked at Reggie who hadn't taken his eyes off her but couldn't seem to find the right things to say.

"Come on let's get you back before Sarah has a heart attack." Julie said slipping her hand into Olivia's. They all walked back to Julies where Sarah was waiting for her. Her and Julie sharing happy memories of their mums the whole way back.

Sarah wasn't too mad, she understood, it was her sister too, today had been hard for her as well. Ray offered to cook dinner for them all which Olivia was happy for she hadn't eaten since breakfast.

The boys slipped off to the studio and left them all as they sat down to eat.

"Dude you never said what you and Liv talked about last night?" Luke said as they appeared in studio and he fell into the chair next to him. 

"All sorts I guess but that's not the weirdest part of it all." He said picking up his bass and playing around with it.

He hadn't had the chance or the nerve to tell the boys yet.