|𝟑𝟑| "𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐫"

𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 a deep breath, Noah stood up in front of the hundreds of residents of Everwinter. "All I have wanted to do since losing loved ones to this poisoned reality was to find peace again. I created this community for people to find that safety and peace with me, and I was going to stop anyone that threatened that fact. Those individuals were living amongst us."

   Each face in the audience, from young to old, held expressions of worry, but also hope, as Noah continued, "Valta has always been our biggest threat, after being dormant for two years, we've had only bad interactions since then. But it seems that they seek the same goal of peace, I never wanted to believe it, but they might actually be able to help us."

   "Our time avoiding war is gradually running thin, we need to be strong as a community to overcome what is waiting for us. Mackenzie and West are planning to destroy every last bit of Everwinter, if they can't kill me. We're going to make sure that that doesn't happen."

   "We need an army of defences, everyone that is above the age of eighteen with no physical ailments and combat training, please stand on my left. The rest, we are making arrangements for evacuation to a safe shelter for your safety. It is crucial that we have everybody able to fight there alongside us, so that we can keep our home alive." Noah took a deep sigh and continued, "Some of us may not make it, the same goes for the Valtan army, it'll be as though we're fighting ourselves, but to ensure the safety of our community, it has to be done."

   Noah gradually concluded and stepped down, encouraging a growth of murmurs. Monet crossed her arms, as Noah returned to his place beside her, Sasha and Zara. His eyes were focused on Sebastian, who took over to explain preparations, but he felt as though he was standing outside of his own body. His thoughts had drifted so far from what was at hand, conflicted on whether trusting Angelo was the best idea.

   Monet's gaze was trained on the people of Everwinter. Those that had been moved off to the left were struggling to keep their composure from the fear slowly growing. She pursed her lips, she prayed they wouldn't crumble. Goldcrest had failed, she hoped Everwinter wouldn't have the same ending.

   "Both of you," Sasha tutted in a low whisper, she finally caught the attention of Monet and Noah, after repeatedly trying to speak to them. "what the hell did you mean with that speech, what aren't you telling us all? You lot are making me worried."

   "Yeah, it's scaring me. You think Angelo might help us?" Zara quizzed. Both Noah and Monet remained silent. He had only confided in her about the abrupt conversation with Angelo the night prior. He wanted to speak to him first, before he worried anyone else.

   So, he sighed, returning his attention to Sebastian without uttering a word. He just had to be sure first... for his own sake.

   Monet entered the abode she had become so accustomed to, as she held two flamboyantly-designed glasses from her brother's apartment. She walked into the kitchen to find Noah sat at the breakfast bar with his head in his hands. She placed the glasses down and removed her coat, which was just enough to catch his occupied attention.

   "I found the nicest patterns he had, since I promised." she spoke, once his eyes fell to the glasses. He gently smiled. "You want a glass? You look like you could use it."

   "Please." he answered lowly. She rinsed the glasses and opened a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey that sat on the rack at the top of a shelf. She soon slid the half full glass in his direction, he cupped it but didn't drink, investigating the detail of the glass instead.