|𝟐𝟎| "𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐭 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫, 𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐤𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐚"

𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 no time to take control of what he believed was rightfully his, Mackenzie ordered the last group of children into the two rovers, giving each of them a dagger made by the blacksmith. Mack knew that this was his time to shine, Noah was nowhere to be seen and barely in the state of mind to lead a community.

"Chop chop, we've got until noon," he dictated. The kids sped up their pace, as West climbed into the driver's seat. Zara watched from afar, disappointed.

"Mackenzie," she sighed and crossed her arms. He walked over to her, towering over her like a menace. She uncomfortably stepped backwards.

"Zara," he grinned, "are you joining? We're teaching the youngers how to attack a walker today."

"You really don't like listening when Noah talks, innit?" she grunted. Mack rolled his eyes and also crossed his arms.

"Noah ain't here, is he? I'm taking the lead and we'll do what I say should be done, you get me?" he asserted. Since Murphy's death, Noah was absent, he was managing so much mentally that he wasn't fit to lead. Mackenzie knew that it was opportunity to enforce his laws.

"What will you do when Noah takes charge again?"

"If he ever does, I don't know why you assumed that I would be stepping down," he scoffed. She frowned, as he traced her jawline delicately.

"He had to put down Murphy. You don't even seem empathetic about his death and what Noah had to do. You barely sounded remorseful, last night."

"Of course I am, but someone has to be the strong one. Everwinter can't run itself. I just told him what he needed to hear, he knows the world has changed but he never likes to believe it. Noah is my friend, he always has been, I'm just doing him a favour. He's always stressed out so I'm taking the weight off of him," his fingers rested at her chin, lifting her face closer to his, "permanently."

"Mackenzie." she sighed again. They'd been friends for almost ten years, she knew exactly how he was, so it was disappointing to see him betray his own friend.

"Stop making that face, Zee. You know where I'm coming from, you agree with the plan."

"Yes, but you have to compromise. Noah said a few more months."

"Who knows? We might all be dead by then. Just come with us, I'll let you lead one of the teams," he smiled.

She stared at him, feeling sick by what he was saying, but failing to retreat. He could tell her was winning her over, he tilted his head and widened his smile with his plea.

"Okay," she said quietly.

"Good." he replied, dropping his hands as well as his smile. "Jump in with West."

He walked away with such illicit power like it were a crown, leaving Zara feeling like the worst friend in the world. Everwinter was the successful creation of those three friends, and Mackenzie was soon to bring it to the ground—Zara feared that wholeheartedly.

Sleeping soundly against his chest, Noah stroked Monet's curls as he stared at the ceiling. The sun beamed through his curtain, creating a beacon of light streaks across the room. It heated the bedroom like a gentle, campfire blaze.

Both of them had fallen asleep fully dressed—even still wearing their shoes—not worried about the discomfort but enjoying their closeness. Noah was glad Monet stayed with him, last night's ordeal was beginning to make him feel helpless. Her company was enough to bring him back down to earth.