Chapter 35: Guilt and Regrets

The worst kind of pain is when you're smiling just to stop the tears from falling.

[ W A R N I N G: This chapter contains blood ]

"Stop, you bastard!!" Chanyeol yelled out, chasing the assailant who was running towards the forest.

"Yeon.... Yeonhwa," Baekhyun called out your name in a croaky voice. With trembling hands, he gently caressed your cheeks, fear completely washing over him.

Your eyes were getting droopier each second but you tried your best to keep them open. The immense pain in your chest was overcoming everything else, you could barely process anything or see your surroundings because of your  blurred vision.

All you knew was that your head was on Baekhyun's lap as he was wiping away the tears that fell from your eyes every second.

His chest felt heavy and suddenly, breathing became hard for him when you frailly reached out for his face with your bloody hands and touched it as softly as a feather.

Tears welled up in his eyes and he gripped your hand tightly, almost as if his life depended on it. His lips quivered and with a shaky voice, he said, "Yo-You'll b-be okay.... Th-The amb-ambulance is on the way. J-Just hang i-in there."

You had the urge to nod but you couldn't even move a muscle. All the energy stored in your body was now slowly draining out, making your eyelids heavier every passing second.

The last thing you heard was Baekhyun calling out your name and the faint sound of sirens of ambulance getting closer and closer until all of it faded in a blink. You wanted to open your eyes once again but you no longer had the energy to do so.

Instead, you just let a world full of darkness and loneliness engulf you.

Chanyeol pointed his gun at the anonymous person and just when he pulled the trigger, the assailant took a turn to his left and the bullet hit one of the trees nearby, missing the target.

Without wasting another second, he followed the stranger but halted when the person before him did so. The unknown person turned around to face Chanyeol as five other people – attired in black with weapons in their hands – surrounded the bewildered guy.

That's when realisation hit Chanyeol, he was in the middle of nowhere. He could no longer hear the ear-piercing noises of car honks or the loud chattering of people. It was a trick to make him follow the attacker and he badly fell for it. And the probability that his absence might not have been noticed didn't help either.

He shot the one in front of him but he dodged the bullet like a pro. Someone tried to stab him from the side but Chanyeol was quick enough to move away, he punched the attacker in his jaw and he stumbled backwards.

Chanyeol walked to him and grabbed him by the collar, punching him in the face once again. But as he was about to pull his mask off, he suddenly yelped in pain when he felt a stinging pain rush through his body and he let go of the captured. He looked at his arm to see blood oozing out of it and the culprit stood in front of him with a knife covered in his blood.

With his uninjured hand, he grabbed the guy by the back of his neck and banged his head against the nearest tree. He picked up the knife and plunged it in his shoulder as the wounded let out a loud cry, falling onto his knees.

Chanyeol turned to the last person who had a baseball bat in their hand. But as he walked closer to the figure standing in frong of him, he realized something.

It's a girl.

As the bat was about to make contact with his head, Chanyeol knocked it off from her hands, thanks to his fast reflexes. Before she could greet him with a kick, she got pinned against the tree with a knife placed so close to her neck that she could feel the cold and sharp metal touching her skin.