4. wheels up

a/n:

chapter photo from weheartit.com

tw: talk about case, involves strangulation

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Samantha: How's the interview going?

Shit. You think to yourself. You completely forget to tell Samantha if you got the job or not. The rest of the team was filing onto the plane as you looked down at your phone. You weren't expecting to be traveling with the team so soon.

Incoming call: Tom

Fuck me. I can't catch a break. 

"Hello?" You answer.

"Hey baby! How's the interview going?" Tom asks through the receiver.

"It's going great, Tom. I'm actually already traveling, so I'll be gone for a little bit. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier." 

"Oh, well I definitely wasn't expecting that. But I'm proud of you, babe."

You smile weakly, despite him not being able to see you. "Thank you. I will talk to you when we land, okay?"

"Of course. I am so proud of you. I love you." He says proudly. "We can celebrate when you get home, yeah?"

"Yes, yes. I love you too, Tom. See you." As soon as the words left your mouth, you quickly glanced over at Spencer, to see him staring but quickly looks away.

You look down, and back at your phone. You type out a text to Samantha.

Me: Holy shit. I got the job. I am traveling with them already to Oklahoma. But there's more. I'll tell you later.

You put your phone on airplane mode and store it in your pocket to focus on your team. You can feel the plane taxiing around and preparing for takeoff. You suddenly grip onto the seat and squeeze your eyes shut.

"Scared of flying?" You hear someone say. You slowly open your eyes and see it is David Rossi talking to you.

"Oh, uh. Just a little bit." You muffle out.

"Me too, kid. You get used to it though." He pats your shoulder.

"It's the turbulence for me. It's terrifying." You respond.

Rossi chuckles in response. "I said that one time too."

"You know, turbulence very rarely causes planes to crash." Spencer speaks up, "What we really need to worry about are microbursts - a sudden downburst of air associated with thunderstorms - but small craft like this one, if we hit one of those at the wrong altitude..." He looks up at you and sees the genuine fear in your face and stops. "Um, never mind."

The rest of the team looks shocked that Reid stopped his fact after looking at you, but decides not to probe. Yet.

"Go ahead, Garcia." Hotch says.

"I found no connection to the victims right away, until I did some more digging and found that both victims were involved in the same poetry club in college." 

"Alright, we will have to interview people from that club. Thanks, Garcia." Hotch responds.

"You, my fine furry friends, are welcome." And the screen clicks off.

"Remind me to have her drug tested." Hotch grumbles.

"So, we know this guy is a sexual sadist. And we might know where he is getting his victims, but why dump his victims where he does? Out in public, in broad daylight where he could easily be caught?" You question.