Chapter 44: Another heartache

Another heartache

Maxinne's POV

"There's more, I want to know if you have a history of an accident before." Sabi ng Doctor. Natigilan ako. Accident. What's the connection of my pregnancy to the accident?

"Uhm.. I- I was involved in a car accident when I was still in the Philippines two months ago." Sagot ko.

Tumango ito.

"There's more you need to know." Sabi nito. Hindi ko alam pero humigpit ang hawak ko sa kamay ni Blake. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi ko magugustuhan ang ibabalita nito.

"I've done a CT scan and different tests while you were sleeping and I found out that you had an injury in your brain." Anunsyo nito.

Injury in brain?

"What do you mean?" Kinakabahang tanong ni Blake.

"You said you've been experiencing head aches almost everyday. I assume sometimes it affects your vision at madalas ay inaatake ka ng confusion. That is one of the major symptoms of Brain injury or Brain Damage." Nanatili akong tahimik. How?

"Brain damage occurs when a person’s brain is injured due to traumatic injury, such as a fall or car accident, or nontraumatic injury, such as a stroke. In your case, I can say that the damage you had in your brain is called Closed head injury. This head injury when an outside force, such as a blow to the head, doesn’t penetrate the skull, but it causes injury and brain swelling since you have a history of a car accident before." Paliwanag nito.

"It's been two months since that accident and it's very alarming now. In case I found out that there's a severe bleeding in your brain, we need to undergo brain surgery." Dagdag nito.

How did it happen?

"And it's not that easy now that you are pregnant with a twins. We can't just perform surgery."

"A-anong ibig sabihin Doc? What kind of treatment do we need?" Tanong ni Papa.

Bumuntong hininga ang doctor.

Sandaling tumigil ang mundo ko ng marinig ang sagot nito.

"We can perform brain surgery but we need to abort the babies or if we keep the babies we need to delay the surgery which is matagal pa bago naten maisagawa and to be honest there's a small chance of her survival. So we either save her or lose the-"

What? No!

"Are you telling me to get rid of my babies?" Galit na tanong ko dito.

"It's your choice Miss Quinto. Either you keep the babies and lose your life or save yourself and-"

"What? No! I'm keeping the babies!" Galit kong sabi. "I'm keeping the babies even if it means losing my own life!"

They want me to get rid of my babies? No!

Dahil sa bigat na nararamdaman ay Hindi ko na napigilan ang mapahagulgol. The thought of killing my two angels is scaring me. Mahal ko na sila kahit hindi ko pa sila nakikita. I don't want them to sacrifice. They're innocent. I want them to live. I want them to see how beautiful this world is. I want them to experience how to live.

"He wanted me to get rid of our babies! That's horrible! I can't do that!" Sabi ko kay Blake matapos lumabas ng Doctor. Naiwan sa loob ng kwartong ito ang mga magulang kong hindi nag sasalita.

"Mom, Dad. I want my babies to live." Garalgal na ang boses ko. Lumapit sakin si Mama saka ako niyakap.

Nanatili akong umiiyak.

Mabuti ng ako ang mag hirap kaysa ang mga bata sa sinapupunan ko. Getting rid of my own babies, of my own flesh is killing me too. I love them more than anything in this world even if it means sacrificing my own life.

Nanatiling tahimik sa tabi ko si Blake. Hindi ito kumikibo and it's killing me. I can't read his mind but I can read his face. He's hurt too. I know it, He's the father and it's not easy to get rid of your own child.

"I don't want you to die." Sa wakas ay sabi nito. Tumulo ang luha nito and it almost broke me into million if pieces seeing him crying. "I-i can't live without you."

And I lost it.

"I know, but it's for our babies." Ngarag na boses ko habang umiiyak. Nanatili itong umiiyak kaya niyakap ko ito. It hurts seeing him in pain. I don't want to die Pero ayoko rin isakripisyo ang sarili kong anak para lang mabuhay ako.

***

Blake's POV

I was sitting at the chair while holding her hand. She still looks beautiful even when she was sleeping. I sighed as I caressed Maxinne's face. I can't help but to smile as I remember that were having our kids. Our babies. Our twins. I guess she can be a good mother to our twins. She's a kind hearted woman.

The thought of building a family with the only woman I love is indeed a dream come true. I can't wait to marry her. I can't wait to be her husband. I can't wait to see my twins running around our house.

But then my smile vanished as I remember the news we got from the doctor.

She has brain damage.

She needs to undergo brain surgery to be able to survive and in exchange we need to abort our twins. The thought of losing the family I'm building is killing me. I can't even thought of losing Maxinne or my babies. The thought of losing them caused a burning ache in my heart the feeling was worse more than any other pain I'd ever experienced in my life. I want them to live with me. I want to spend the rest of my life with them. I'm scared to lose them.

Napasabunot ako sa sariling buhok saka pinunasan ang luha. I feel sorry for what happened. I fucked up everything.

Lumabas ako ng kwartong iyon saka napasuntok sa pader.

This is my fault. This is all my fault. I felt destroyed and completely broken when I found out about her condition. She didn't deserve any of this sufferings. I should have protect her.

I don't know what to do. I can't even expressed the pain I am feeling. Along with the happiness I feel about having babies is the fear of losing one of them. Why does it have to be like this?

Why?

Wala akong magawa.

I'm so stupid.

"Mom.." Umiiyak kong sabi as I call my Mom. I need to atleast tell someone about this, Kailangan kong ilabas ang sakit at bigat na nararamdaman ko.

"Son, why are you crying? What happened?"

"I'm having a twins." Balita ko dito.

"Oh my gosh! Really?" Masayang tanong nito. Bakas sa boses nito ang excitement. Tinawag pa nito si papa saka masayang ikinwento ang binalita ko.

"Mom.." Humahagulgol kong sabi. Durog na durog ako. The pain in my heart is unbearable.

"Why are you crying? You should be-"

"She has a brain injury Mom. We have two options. Either we perform brain surgery and lose the twins or lose Maxinne and keep the babies." Kwento ko. "I can't lose one of them. Mom, I don't know what to do." Parang bata kong sabi.

"Maxinne refuse to abort the baby. The doctor said, even if we delay the surgery maliit lang ang chance na maka survive siya."

"Son, Oh God, I'm so sorry." Umiiyak na ring sabi ni Mama.

"Hey son, remember, be strong You're going to be a Father now. Wag mong hayaan na makita ka ni Maxinne na mahina. You need to be strong for your family." Paalala ni papa.

How can I? Maxinne is my strength. She is my life. Nagagawa kong madali ang buhay kapag kasama ko siya. I want her to be by my side until my last breath. Hindi Pa ako nakakabawi sa kanya.

How fate could be this cruel? Ngayon pa lang kami nagkaka ayos pero may bago na naman pag subok.

I need to be strong.

For Maxinne.

For my twins.

For my family.