Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind

Start from the beginning

Zeir lord in'

He felt his fury rise. So it was true. Salvire was plotting treason. He had hoped it wasn't so. This was his family after all. But history had proven that those you should be most wary of, were indeed kin.

The message had come this morning by means of a bird. Mikos must have risked a lot to send it.

An offer of truce had been sent, but to Salvire alone, not Tirzé. Darius could guess the underlying motive. Salvire was a border estate with a strategic position. It was why his grandfather had made it a ruling estate. He had hoped to appease his cousin that way, so he wouldn't set his eyes on the crown. Was Izem the one who had initiated the contact with Balor? Or was Balor informed better regarding the inner machinations of the surrounding countries than he had anticipated?

Whatever the case, it was too late to prevent things. All he could do now was control the situation.

Darius frowned. A Zeir lord was involved in the scheme. Had they planned the attack on Boncini together or was that a separate matter? It was safe to assume this Zeir lord had given Balor intel, but how deeply was Salvire involved?

"Torcan!" he called. The man was never far and it didn't take long for his guard to enter the room.

"My king," Torcan bowed.

"What do you make of this?" Darius asked while handing him the note.

Torcan read it with a frown. "Does king Marcos know this?"

"He will once you inform him," Darius stated.

"My king?" Torcan said startled.

"I want you to ride to Auros," Darius informed him, "deliver this message personally. Sending it by messenger bird might be faster, but there is also a higher risk of it being intercepted. You can ride under the guise of asking for more men if anyone is to stop you. We have only returned to our homeland recently. We don't know if there have been new developments in Zeir. They have started their own investigation. Combine our findings with theirs. It is adamant that we solve this matter soon."

Torcan still didn't seem convinced. "My king, I'm not comfortable leaving your side for so long. Lord Izem already seems to have gathered allies. Who knows if he doesn't have any in the palace? Even if lord Izem doesn't know we received this information, word might reach him that I have left for Auros. It may well be the chance he had been waiting for. Especially if it is true that a Zeir lord is involved."

"All the more reason to make haste," Darius countered.

"My king..."

"Are you questioning my decisions, Torcan?"

"I wouldn't dare," Torcan replied, "I am merely concerned for what might happen in my absence."

"So you think me incompetent then," Darius stated.

"No my king," Torcan said firmly, "but this message is not to be underestimated. We don't know how long lord Izem had been conspiring."

Darius narrowed his eyes. "And that is exactly why we must act now."

"I understand," Torcan said, "but please..."

"Do as I say, Torcan!" Darius growled.

"Darius!" Torcan said desperately, forgoing all conventions and claiming their friendship.

Darius sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I know you are concerned," he said, "this involves your father's home. I know this is hard on you. And I know you are looking out for me, but I am a king, Torcan. I consider you my friend, I truly do, but I am your king first. That means the needs of Tirèze must always come before my own. Do I want you to go? No. I'd rather keep you at my side. But I do want to end this war, so my son won't have to make the decisions I have to make now. So, please, will you ride to Auros? If it eases your worries, I will stay in Elora's wing so Mehr can guard me in your stead."