Love / The Reichenbachfall 1

Start from the beginning

Sherlock is practically on fire. Solving another big case only a week later.
He managed to find the number one on Interpol's Most Wanted list together with Lestrade's department.
Today they're giving a press conference. Kate's still wondering how they got Sherlock to participate in it since he never took credit for any of Greg's cases before.
"What's that for?" Sherlock asks Kate as they're about to leave 221b to go to the conference.
"Nothing of your concern." She winks at him and picks the Tesco bag in question up. "Let's go."
When they arrive at the station Greg is already waiting for them.
Sherlock walks right past him towards the conference room. John follows him after greeting Greg.
"Do you have it?" He grins excited at Kate.
"Yes." She grins and hands him the mysterious bag. "I can't wait for his reaction."
"Me too."
She follows Greg to the door Sherlock and John are waiting in front of.
Sherlock narrows his eyes at the bag in Greg's hand and Kate just innocently grins at him.
"Good luck out there. See you." She tells the boys and calps John and Lestrade on the shoulder before getting on her tiptoes to steal a quick kiss from Sherlock.
Greg's a bit caught off guard since he never saw them kiss before and still can't believe Sherlock Holmes is in a relationship.
Kate straightens out his suit jacket before they all give each other approving nods and she leaves to get in through the main entrance with the visitors.
Everyone is already waiting and she stands in the far back with Anderson and Donovan. She gives them thumbs up to signalize that Lestrade has the bag.
They just grin at her and turn towards the stage where Sherlock, John and Greg walk in.
The cameras start flashing before Greg even starts to talk. "Peter Ricoletti: number one on Interpol's Most Wanted list since 1982. But we got him; and there's one person we have to thank for giving us the decisive leads...with all his customary diplomacy and tact..."
Kate lowers her head and chuckles quietly.
Then Greg puts his hand in the bag and gets out a wrapped present.
"We all chipped in." He hands Sherlock the item, grinning wide.
Sherlock frowns and gives Kate a quick glance before tearing the wrapping paper apart.
Donovan, Anderson and Kate are already giving each other looks. This was the best idea. She bites her lip, grinning widely.
With a look on his face as if he bit into a lemon, Sherlock tries to smile as he pulls out a deerstalker hat. "Oh!"
"Put the hat on!" The reporters start to shout in union.
Of cause Kate, Donovan and Anderson take part in that chanting.
"Yeah, Sherlock, put it on!" Lestrade smirks.
Sherlock looks at the mass as if he plans their individual murder. His eyes stop on Kate and she knows she's in trouble. But she asked for it really, so she just shrugs at him with a triumphing smile on her face.
John whispers something to him and Sherlock shoves the wrapping paper into his hands before putting the hat on his head.
The cameras go wild again. Besides Kate Donovan claps with sarcastic delight while Anderson grins smugly. Sherlock gives them a sour look. Kate's just laughing wholeheartedly at this point, snapping a picture for herself with her phone.

It's safe to say that Sherlock was the one who stole Greg's handcuffs that day and discovered that he's very much into spanking. Maybe he even made use of his whip on a living person for the first time that night. Not that Kate was complaining. She was pushing him in that exact direction. What was sure is, that it was good that John was on a date that night.

When Kate wakes up in the morning she's alone in Sherlock's bed. She throws her robe on and finds him with John in the living room.
John is reading newspapers on the couch. Sherlock is wearing his blue dressing gown over his shirt and trousers and angrily throws a newspaper on the coffee table when Kate walks in. There's actually a whole pile of newspapers from the last two weeks and it's only getting bigger.
"Boffin." Sherlock snaps. "Boffin Sherlock Holmes."
Kate rubs her hurting backside with a groan. "Morning."
Sherlock gives her a short look and she thinks that she saw a faint smirk on his lips before he angrily turns to John again.
"Everybody gets one." John sighs.
"One what?"
"Tabloid nickname: 'SuBo'; 'Nasty Nick.' Shouldn't worry, I'll probably get one soon." He throws Kate a newspaper. "Even Kate has one and she's barely in the pictures."
"Page five, column six, first sentence." Sherlock tells John before getting his famous hat from above the fireplace. "Why is it always the hat photograph?"
He punches the hat angrily. John searches for the page Sherlock told him and Kate just stares at the paper John handed her. There's a picture of her kissing Sherlock before the conference.
"'Mysterious Mistress'?" She snaps.
"'Bachelor John Watson'?" John gasps.
"What sort of hat is it anyway?" Sherlock frowns at the hat.
"'Bachelor'? What the hell are they implying?"
"That's completely fine. But 'Mistress'? What the hell are they implying? Do I look like Irene Adler?"
"You know what they're implying might be true." Sherlock throws her a devilish look.
"Hey! I-" Kate tries to protest.
"Is it a cap? Why has it got two fronts?" Sherlock interrupts her. Turning the hat around rapidly.
"Well, I at least hope Irene sees this." Kate quirks her eyebrow at Sherlock and throws the newspaper back on the table.
"She's dead Kate." Sherlock looks over to her.
"Is she tho?" Kate narrows her eyes with a smirk. Slowly Sherlock smirks back at her.
John just frowns between them and opens his mouth to say something, but then decides against it.
"And it's a deerstalker." Kate rolls her eyes and goes to grab a coffee in the kitchen.
"'Frequently seen in the company of bachelor John Watson...'" John reads further.
"You stalk a deer with a hat? What are you gonna do? Throw it?" Sherlock rambles on.
"'...confirmed bachelor John Watson.'"
"Some sort of death frisbee?"
Kate chuckles as she pours herself a cup of coffee in her favorite mug and returns to the living room.
"Okay, this is too much. We need to be more careful." John states and looks up.
Kate walks towards her armchair while drinking and points at John, nodding eagerly and turning to Sherlock while swallowing. "That! Is very true: You hear that, Sherlock?"
"It's got flaps ... ear flaps. It's an ear hat, John." He throws the hat past Kate towards John who catches it. "What do you mean, 'more careful'?"
Kate sits down in her armchair with a hiss. John frowns at her and Sherlock just smirks openly now.
"I mean this isn't a deerstalker now; it's a Sherlock Holmes hat." John goes back to the topic. "I mean that you're not exactly a private detective anymore." he declares angrily.
Kate puts her thumb and forefinger an inch apart and adds. "You're this far from famous!"
"Oh, it'll pass." Sherlock groans and lets himself fall back into his armchair. Folding his hands in front of his face, as he always does.
"It'd better pass!" Kate snaps.
"The press will turn, Sherlock. They always turn, and they'll turn on you." John tries to make it clear.
Sherlock lets his arms fall on the armrest and narrows his eyes at John. He knows Kate's trouble with the press but John?
"It really bothers you."
"What?"
"What people say."
"Yes?"
"About me? I don't understand? Why would it upset you?" Sherlock frowns at him.
They stare at each other in silence for a moment.
"Just try to keep a low profile." John sighs and goes back to reading the newspaper. "Find yourself a little case this week. Stay out of the news."
"Let's not forget that Moriarty is still out there too. He's planning something. Something big." Kate states.
"I know. Mycroft doubled his surveillance on us, didn't you notice?"
"No." She frowns. "And that doesn't really help my worry."
Sherlock eyes Kate's hand. It's shaking again. Quickly she forms a fist and takes a deep breath.