In The Sugar / The Hounds Of Baskerville 3

Once they enter Baskerville Sherlock's off to talk to Major Barrymore and John and Kate make their way down to the lab they've been in before on floor -1 to search for Doctor Stapleton.
When the lift doors open they find the lab empty, except for two scientists that are leaving through another door to their left and turn off the light, in the same moment as John and Kate enter.
The remaining emergency lighting reveals that the cages for the animals are now covered with huge cloths.
Kate and John stop for a moment, look around with a frown and exchange a look before they make their way over to the other side of the lab to the first door.
When they reach it, John swipes the security card, they've been given for unlimited excess, through the reader.
On the door is a sign saying 'KEEP OUT UNLESS YOU WANT A COLD!' which they casually ignore and walk through without exchanging a word.
The next door has a little glass window and John gently taps against it, but nobody replies. They shrug and enter the room.
It's even darker inside this room and the light that is there, is rather dark orange. Their vision is also clouded by some kind of smoke that hangs in the room. They find several science equipment and files on the tables, but otherwise the small room is empty. Kate eyes some tubes that come out of the wall while John checks out a drawer to see if he can find any clues for the hound. After a few moments Kate nods towards the door and John opens it for them to leave again.

With one last look inside Kate closes the second door behind them. Just when it clicks shut and she turns towards John again they're blinded by a bright light.
Kate quickly squinches her eyes shut and tries to shield them with one hand while reaching out for John with the other. When she gets hold of his shoulder he reaches for her hand and drags her forward, away from the light. But then a loud alarm starts ringing and he let's go of her to cover both of his ears. "Oh, no! Jesus! Ow!"
She does the same, but after a moment she lays her eyes on the elevator and pushes John towards it with a painful groan.
"Bloody hell?" John mutters in pain.
The alarm is so loud that Kate feels like her brain might explode any second, so she takes the security card from John and swipes it through the reader of the elevator as fast as she can.

'ACCESS DENIED'

Kate frowns and swipes it through again.

'ACCESS DENIED'

"Come on." John exhales and takes the card out of her hands to try again.
Just when Kate's wants to snap something like 'It's not like I'm too stupid to do it.' the alarm stops and the lights go off.
They freeze for a moment.
"What the-?" Kate starts but is interrupted by John who takes a flashlight out of his pocket and switches it on.
"Hello?" He shouts into the room.
Kate reaches in her coat pocket but her flashlight isn't there, it must've fallen out in the car. Great.
She takes her phone and tries to turn on its flashlight but it's hard to focus cause she's still seeing little white blotches from being blinded by this bright light.
Besides her, John groans again and rubs his eyes.
"When you look into light there are particles called photons coming into your eye, which stimulate your cells by changing retinal, a light-sensitive pigment, into a slightly different form and the stimulated cells send electrical impulses to your brain. But light as bright as that gets the cells a bit overexcited and it takes them a while to calm down again." Kate mutters more to herself to collect her thoughts.
"I know Kate, I'm a doctor. Don't you start acting like I'm dumb now like Sherlock does."
"I was talking to myself, John." She half-snaps cause her brain is still in pain.
"Hello?" John shouts into the room once again.
After another moment of silence, Kate growls angrily. "Is this suppose to be some kind of joke?"
There's a rattling sound and slowly Kate's eyes adjust to the darkness again. John looks around with a frown and Kate nods towards the covered cages cause the rattling is coming from there.
Slowly they approach the first cage and while John lights with his flashlight, Kate removes the cloth with a quick motion.