A 'Date' With Mycroft Holmes

Soon later, Kate leaves the shower in only her underwear while drying her hair with a towel
"What should I wear? Do you know where Mycroft normally takes the ladies? Fancy or not? I mean he works for the government so I guess it's fancy??" she asks walking back in the living room.
"He never takes anyone anywhere, ever." Sherlock signs annoyed not even looking up from the book he was reading.
John looks up from his laptop and is caught off guard when he sees Kate like this.
"Ehm...a not too fancy dress is never wrong I think?"
Finally Sherlock also decides to look at her when he hears John's slightly surprised voice, only to stare at Kate in confusion.
"What? Never saw a woman in underwear or a Bikini?" Kate asks them confused.
"Well...I did." John laughs while shaking his head and looks back at his laptop.
Sherlock hesitates and blushes a bit but he tries to hide his face behind his book and ignore Kate.
"Oh...okay. Sorry, it won't happen again...I just thought it would be okay. But I get it."
"No, it's ok."
John smirks and Kate bites her lip to hold back a laugh cause Sherlock looks more helpless than one of them would have expected to be possible.
"No...I mean..." Sherlock tried to explain himself.
"It's ok, I understand. Really." Kate assures him.
She leaves to get dressed for work and when she comes back John and Sherlock are gone.

When Kate returns to 221b they were still gone and exactly at 6 pm Mycroft's black car parks in front of the house. Kate is wearing a casual short black dress that wasn't too fancy, just like John advised her.
As she steps out of the house the driver opens the backseat door for her. She smiles at him and thanked him. It had been ages since she had some sort of real date and now she sees THAT car she is worrying if she was underdressed.Once in the car, she finds herself sitting beside a woman who was focused on her phone.
"Hello, I'm Kate!" Kate introduces herself and reaches her hand out.
"I know." The woman gives her and her offered hand a short look and goes back to texting without taking Kates hand.
"...okay. Whatever."

After some silent minutes, Kate tries to start a conversation again."Excuse me...but could you tell me where exactly we're driving?"
No answer, just typing.
The driver stops the car in front of a restaurant and helps Kate out of the car.
"I don't know but if I would be in a car with the date of my boss I would be nicer. Bye." Kate snaps at the women before she lets the driver close the door.

Mycroft stands in front of the restaurant and gives her a smile as she walked towards him.
"I think one of your employees has a smartphone addiction and is very rude, cause she ignores your guests."
"Well, that's exactly her job." Mycroft chuckles as he offers Kate his right arm.
"What?" Kate frowns, hooking herself at his offered arm.
"She's supposed to act as if she's invisible and keep me informed about what's happening." Mycroft explains when a waiter leads them to their table.
"So she was texting you all the time?" Kate askes when Mycroft pushes the chair under her to help her sit down.
"Exactly." he assures her while taking his own place opposite of her.
The waiter hands both of them the menu and Mycroft orders some wine for both of them.
"She texted you about me? What I was doing? Saying?"
"Yes."
"What did she write?"
"You seem to be annoying in a sympatric way, not in a Sherlock way. And you seem to not really like to be ignored." Mycroft reads the messages from his phone and looks up at Kate.
"Yeah well...who likes to be ignored?" she laughs.
"Living with Sherlock isn't the best idea then." he states. Then the waiter comes back with the wine and Kate takes a quick look at the short menu and orders her choice, same as Mycroft.
"So...tell me something about you, because you seem to know everything about me anyway." Kate says smiling while the waiter is collecting their menu cards and watches away.
"There's not much to tell besides the things you already know. This is not a normal date Kate. I invited you so I could talk to you about Sherlock." Mycroft looks at her with a more serious expression than before now.
Kate let herself fall back in her chair and huffs.
"He warned me to come... said this will only be about him and I thought he was being selfish!"
"I know." Mycroft admits calmly.
"Is there anything you don't know?!" she snaps back.
"It's my job. I only want to keep Sherlock safe."
"That's sick! Maybe you should try to spend your time with being a loving brother instead of...a scary dude watching his brother with cameras 24/7! Where are the cameras? In the Bathroom?!" Kate asked outraged.
"Jesus Kate, keep it down! I have cameras in the kitchen and the living room. I'm not THAT sick." he whisper jells back at her while looking around to see if anyone noticed.
She follows his gaze to see that some people are staring in their direction and start to whisper. "Sorry...but what do you want from me now?"
"I have cameras but he still has his ways to avoid my watch sometimes."
"So you want me to spy for you?"
"Yes."
"Let me guess, you offered John the same and he said no." Kate guesses, raising an eyebrow.
"Yes, but YOU should know how..." he points out giving her the knowing look he already gave her when they first met.
"Don't you dare to use that. You may have read things but you have no idea what happened so don't act as if." Kate interrupts him, giving him a short hatred look.
"As compensation I'm going to keep your secrets."
"You can't..." She tries to say shocked.
"I'm the British government, remember? I'm afraid I most certainly can." Mycroft fake smiles at her while taking a sip of his wine.
"Sherlock was right about you."
"Isn't he right about everything most of the time?" he signs.
"Nearly."
Mycroft gives her a questioning look and Kate's the one to sign now. "He's not right about relationships and stuff and the fact that he thinks he can live without them forever. I mean he already failed with having John as his best friend. But there are some things he can't deduct without that, cause there are things on a more personal and private level and can only be sensed...felt even."
"No feelings no problems I guess." Mycroft shrugs.
"And no joy or goal in life. So what's the point?" Kate asks, rolling her eyes.
"You can't save him. You wouldn't be the first one to try." Mycroft tells her after looking at her for a few moments.
"Let me try! I can handle him quite good till now. If I fail I'm your willing spy. If you really care for him then..."
"Okay." Mycroft interrupts her just as the waiter serves their food.

After they finished eating Mycroft pays and they walk back to the car. Mycroft opens the door for her and she is greeted by the smartphone woman again.
"Hey again, sorry about earlier." say's giving her a big smile while Mycroft sat down in the seat next to her. "Mycroft explained it to me. I hope it's worth it and he pays you well enough, cause this job sucks."
Mycroft rolls his eyes while Kate keeps talking to her till the car stops in front of 221b. Mycroft opens the car door, helps Kate out and brings her to the door. "We have a deal right?"
"Yes we have, but maybe I have to do something about your frozen soul too. So...just enjoy that you had a nice date with a girl nearly half your age? Thank you for the dinner!"
She laughs and hugs him. At first he's a bit overwhelmed because this was like the first hug he's getting since he was a little child, but slowly and gentle he lays his arms around her.
"And who's watching out after you?" Kate takes a few steps back and smiles at him caringly.
Mycroft returns her smile, this time with a real one but ignores what she asked. "Good night Miss Taylor...and good luck with my brother."
Kate opens the door, waves him as he walks back to his car and shouted after him. "Good night Mycie!"

Laughing about his face when she calls him Mycie, Kate makes her way upstairs, only to be greeted by a grumpy Sherlock.
"Hey. I'm back boys!" she announced happily.
"Obviously. We can see and hear it." Sherlock, who's looking out the window, informs her without looking at her.
"And?? How was it??" John askes interested when he steps out of the kitchen, eating a toast.
"It was nice...and very interesting. I wasn't on a date for years."
"So it was really a date? And Mycroft let you hug him? And call him Mycie just like that?"
"Yes? Why does that surprise you so much?"
Sherlock just frowns.
"Are you planning on going out with him again sometime?" John asked further.
"If he would ask me I would go out with him again, yes, but just as friends. He's a little bit too old for me I think." Kate tells John while placing her bag on the table and taking her jacket off to hang it on the wardrobe.
"Mycroft needs a little positivity in his life...just like Sherlock."
"Oh yes, he's a true iceman. I noticed."
Sherlock rolls his eyes and curls up on the couch.
"By the way, I got a job now!" John announces happily.
"Really! That's amazing!" Kate congrats him a smile.
"And who's going to solve crimes with me now?" Sherlock suddenly says from his place on the couch.
"Some of us need to make money. I don't need to work for the rest of the week, so I can help you for now." Kate sighs at the thought of her wasting her free days.
"I only need to work every second day." John points out.
"Kate normally needs to work every day so most of the week is going to be boring again."
"We definitely need to get you a TV. Then you can watch and solve crime all day without the danger."
"That's the idea of the year Kate!" John laughs.
They laugh and decide to go get one as soon as they can.