Her First Case

Kate wakes up to the beautiful sound of Sherlock's violin. She lets out a deep breath as she snuggles back into her pillow to the soft music.
Suddenly she jumps up, grabs her violin and storms out of her room as she recognizes the song. Kate joins Sherlock's play with her own violin when she reaches the living room. He's looking out the window and quickly turns around to her enthusiastic play in confusion. She just smiles at him and jumps on the couch while playing the last emotional notes of the song.
"As beautiful as that was, I need to go to my first day of work. Wish me luck." John throws in the room while rushing past them to the door.
"Good luck!" Kate says, jumping from the couch into his arms.
"Keep an eye on him." John chuckles while gently placing her on the bottom and looking at Sherlock.
"I will." Kate responses white Sherlock rolls his eyes.
John turns to leave and Kate gives Sherlock a warning look.
"Sherlock!" she whisper jells and gestures towards John with her eyes.
Sherlock clears his throat and looks way too uncomfortable.
"John?"
"Mh?" John hums and turns around again.
"Good luck?" Sherlock manages to get out even tho he looks like the words are physically hurting him and it sounds more like a question.
"Thank you." John responses, giving him a warm and thankful smile before leaving.

"Breakfast?" Kate asks as she makes her way into the kitchen after placing her violin beside the couch.
Sherlock clearly didn't expect that question to be for him cause Kate gets no answer and turns around to meet Sherlock's gaze.
"No, I don't like eating." Sherlock finally answers straddled, observing her.
She opens the fridge only to see the head of a corpse, which she just had on her table in the pathology last week.
"Well hello there, nice to see you again Mister...Porter? I think it was James Porter."
"That's a new unusual reaction." Sherlock notices.
"He was MY corpse first, you can't just walk into MY pathology and take the heads of MY corpses?!" Kate fake snaps at Sherlock while taking the head, which is in a plastic bag, out of the fridge and waving it around while talking.
Sherlock's out of words, gaping like a fish when Kate busted out in laughter and puts the head back in the fridge.
"So, after the realization that we have no food in this apartment, I consider that we should go out to take our breakfast elsewhere. I found a nice cafe on my way to work." She says while walking back into the living room and sitting down in John's armchair. "And by the way, I really need my own armchair."
"Whatever, I won't eat something anyway." he sighs.
"Oh trust me, you will! I mean, look at you...you're way TOO skinny, that can't be healthy. If someone should know that, it's you." Kate warns before she leaves to get changed.

A few minutes later they leave the apartment. It was the first time she was alone with Sherlock and till now it wasn't as strange as she had imagined.
They reach the cafe Kate mentioned before after a short walk and Kate orders a bunch of things and places them right in front of Sherlock who already sat down at a table.
"They have some specialties, you have to try them!" Kate lets him know with an excited grin.
"I'm not hungry." Sherlock groans and shifts uncomfortably in his chair.
"You're one big baby. You ate nothing for days now, Holmes!"Before he can respond, Kate is pushing some sort of pastry against his mouth.
"Trust me."
To satisfy her he opens his mouth and she shoves the biscuit in while looking at him in excitement.
"Aaaand?"
"Ok...it's delicious," Sherlock admins annoyed "but nonetheless still a waste of time."
"Well...I bought way too many for only me to eat by myself and it would be a shame to throw it away, wouldn't it?"
"Obviously." Sherlock says rolling his eyes, as always.

After they finish their breakfast Sherlock checks his phone and has a message from Lestrade, so they decide to take a cab to the texted address.
"Are you sure you're ok with this?" Sherlock asks Kate when the cab stops and he pays the driver.
"Yeah, I mean...I'm meeting my boss on my free day. At least I'm going to see more of London." she shrugs.
"We'll see."