Chapter 50 - Where?

A small soft hand caressed her forehead. Gently sweeping away the loose strands of hair stuck to her skin.

And for the few seconds before she fully regained consciousness, Deya felt peaceful. Just like when it used to be her mother's soothing touch as she sat by her bed all those years ago.

Nonetheless, it didn't take long before the image changed.

The touch suddenly feeling like her own, wiping away tears. Then the same hands masaging her temples to fight a headache. A faceless figure observing it all from its spot behind the wheel.

Just like that, it slowly sank in that those are not some random images either. Those are memories.

Very recent ones at that.

"Don't!" Her body shot upright in an instant, startling the silhouette leaning over her and urging its hands to what she soon realised was IV line.

"Who are you?" Her heart was thumping so fast she could feel it in her throat.

"Shh, it's okay," The gentle hand retracted when Deya dodged its touch, lowering down in a slow elegant motion.

"I'm nurse Anette," The woman straightened herself with a smile, giving her a good view of the snow white uniform.

But it did little to calm the patient down, just like the sight of the soft padded room and the machine by her side, the beeping of which kept gradually fastening while she took everything in.

What the..

Ripping off the sensors from her chest, she didn't as much as wince before reaching for the needle sticking out of her hand next. Ready to pull if it wasn't for nurse Anette's intervention.

"Please, don't," Her big soft eyes plead with her, their empathy driving Deya to the edge of insanity.

Who are you?

"What happened?" She blurted out, overwhelmed by the fogged memories.

The last she truly remembered was attempting to stop Max from leaving.
Nonetheless, this looked nothing like the doghouse, or any other place Max has taken her to before. Which tells her enough to conclude that things went horribly wrong.

"You had a reaction to.. something in your system," The woman explained, suddenly unable to meet her gaze. "Your breathing stopped for a few seconds, but the team was quick to react,"

"Someone drugged me?" Deya asked in disbelief, instantly feeling violated.

And pissed.

Yes.

As pissed as someone who almost got killed could be.

"We're not sure. Toxicology is pending," The nurse dismissed quickly before reaching for a thermometer and pointing it on her forehead. "It might have been an allergic reaction too,"

And as she watched her hand slightly tremble, Deya couldn't help but think that it's not a routine check, but a distraction.

She just wasn't sure whether it was done for her eyes or to calm Anette's own nerves.

"What's the day today? Why I don't remember..."

"It's the day you woke up, that's good news," The nurse smiled as if it was perfectly normal response.

"Anything we should know about your medical history or state?" She rushed to ask, lingering on the last word a little longer.

Not that Deya took the time to register that as she shook her head, eyes wide.