Chapter 21 - Toxic II

"Got you,"  He breathed out.

But Deya hardly registered his lips moving, the tune in her head absorbing everything.

'A guy like you should wear a warning,
It's dangerous,
I'm falling,'

The luscious warmth of his body seeped through her skin, a dire contrast to the freezing cold eyes.

"Thanks," She mumbled before glancing away.

But the half smile that possessed the devil's lips was destined to be short-lived.

"C-could you put me down, now?" She stuttered awkwardly, realising well there were two people in the unit whom she didn't trust.

The devil's hesitancy was clear.

"You shouldn't be alone today," He grunted.

"I didn't ask for advice. Let.Me.Down," Her eyes bore into him with intensity.

And still, Max didn't respond immediately outside the way his muscles twitched. No, it took him whole 47 seconds before he released her, and trust her when she says she counted every single one.

"Should I leave?" He growled, the sudden coldness of his voice telling her his ego suffered a blow.

But before the disappointed knight in shining armour could interpret her silence as an agreement, Deya found her tongue at last.

"Why are you here, Maximón?" She slowly pushed herself up on the desk, suddenly looking almost apathetic as she swung her feet.

"To.. protect you," The devil cocked his head to side, suppressing the sensation hearing his name from her lips caused him.

But Deya shook her head. Just like the first time she asked, he decided to serve her bullshit.

"Any of your men could do it," She let out a sigh. "Why are you really here?"

The question came out before she could stop it, and she couldn't explain where it came from if you threatened to pull her teeth out. Strangely enough, though, it gifted her the rare experience of seeing Max's usual confidence crumble as he pondered his answer.

"I don't know," He muttered eventually, and she couldn't even tell if it was the truth or another lie.

"You wanted me gone..." She continued, voice betraying her.

"I was a bloody idiot," The devil cut in sharply, instilling a long silence.

The fact she couldn't remember ever hearing him talk like this making her suspicious.

"You don't get to just change your mind,"  She hissed, not carrying about what her statement implied.

"And you don't get to fuck me and then leave without a goodbye," He growled as he approached, reminding her more of his old self by the minute.

"You said it won't change anything,"

"I was wrong," Max breathed out, the air surrounding them thickening.