Chapter 7 - Back in time

(Years ago)

Closing the door as quietly as possible, Deya just prayed that her parents have long gone to bed. However, for the first time since she turned teenage, it wasn't to avoid punishment for breaking her curfew. No, it was out of fear that seeing her father's face would make what she's about to do much more difficult.

Her steps were merely audible as she crept her way upstairs, and she almost made it to her bedroom before the muffled voices coming from the opposite side of the hallway caught her attention. The next she knows, an unknown urge is pulling her in their direction, all the way to her father's office.

"Denise, I'm begging you.." Her dad spoke with unusual desperation. "At least go see Dr Morris, you know he helped you in the past"

"No!" Her mother's yell came in response, and the slight slur was all the girl needed to realise that she's drunk again. "What he wrote after our last session proves that he doesn't understand."

"And the fact that you've requested the assessment behind my back shows that neither do you" The words came out with venom.

There was a minute of complete silence, and Deya almost forced herself to turn around and leave. But something didn't let her, and perhaps it was knowing this might be the last time she hears their voices.

"Denise, you know I love you--"

"She took everything from me!" The woman's voice boomed again, followed by a loud crashing sound that made the girl jump. "And I know it was all on purpose. It's all just a bloody game for her"

"Don't you see how insane it sounds?" Her father spoke softly, but the woman responded with a guttural growl.

There was a sound of commotion coming from behind the door, but it ended as abruptly as it started, right as the girl was about to barge in. She could hear faint sobbing now, increasing her guilt of eavesdropping on their intimate moment.

But in retrospective, it might have been what she heard next that ultimately pushed her to go through with her plan.

"You can't have us both under the same roof, Martin. So either you make her leave or I swear you'll never see me again" The woman's voice was void of any emotion, sending a cold sensation through Deya's body.

Unfortunately, it was also accompanied by the sound of footsteps, and so she didn't waste time and hastily scurried back to her bedroom.

She pressed her ear against the door, and it was hard to catch anything over the deafening thumping of her heart at first. But it only got worse once she made out the wobbly steps of her mother getting closer by the second. As if on cue, her hand reached out and pulled the latch into secured position, realising the woman must be right on the other side by now.

But despite all her expectations, the doorknob didn't move at all.

It was as if someone switched the sound off, everything drowning in sudden stillness lasting for what felt like eternity. If it wasn't for her own panicked breathing, she would think she went deaf. But the steps eventually returned, this time receding back through the hallway, the sound holding her captive for another minute before she mustered courage and got back on her wobbly feet.

There was no backing out this time.

Without hesitation, she pulled out the pre-packed duffel bag from under the bed and quickly went through its belongings. The ticket. Passport. Some clothes. It was more than enough for where she's going, which meant that there's only one thing left.