Chapter 24 - The redhead

"God, you're here," Deya breathed out in relief, briefly shutting the door again to undo the chain. "Thank you for doing this. I owe you,"

She stepped aside to let Jamie enter, not noticing the way his lips parted as he took in her toned legs peeking from the small black dress.

"Wow, you look.. different," He breathed out, eyes unable to leave her as she grabbed her purse and checked its contents.

"I mean, great. You look great," He corrected himself, cheeks turning crimson.

"I'm not sure if it's not too much, though," Deya bit her bottom lip before turning to face him.

"It's perfect," Jamie dismissed her, and for the shortest of seconds, they shared the look. One that made her head snap away in embarrassment.

"Thanks," She mumbled, sheepishly hugging her arms.

"But before we go, I have to warn you--"

"Things might get ugly, I get it," Jamie inserted. "And I did the other twenty times you mentioned that,"

"Sorry," Her lips spread into a guilty frown. "I just don't want tonight to be a disaster,"

And wasn't that exactly what she's doing by serving Jamie to the devil on a silver platter?

"Everything will be fine," Jamie assured her before helping her into a coat. "What could he do with all the witnesses around anyway?"

And as they walked into the cold night, she just prayed he was right. Because a tiny part of her feared that she's bringing Jamie for support as much as she's doing it in hopes to see the devil snap.

A thought that made her too ashamed to even glance at him all the way to the campus.

"Here's my girl," Liam's slurred voice made it clear they've drank a fair share already.

But before he could wrap his arm around her shoulders, she was quickly pulled to Jamie's side.

"Brought your boyfriend, I see?" Liam's lips spread into a smirk as he exchanged looks with the rest of the team, and it was then that she realised she can't see Max in their midst.

Weird.

"Any problem with that?" Her eyebrows raised in challenge, but Liam dismissed her with a drunk grin.

"I hope you know your girl is a savage," He ruffled her hair, earning himself a couple of chuckles.

"Oh, trust me. I know," Jamie returned, eyes boring into her with amusement that made her blush.

But she didn't get to find out what exactly was hiding behind the statement, interrupted by her team's interrogation.

Where is he from? How did they meet? All the innocent questions she didn't want them to have answers to.

Fortunately though, it didn't take long till they asked about his job, and from there the conversation quickly shifted to cars, much to her relief.

Although she couldn't quite contribute, seeing Jamie being his carefree old self kept her entertained enough that she haven't even registered all the people already filling Matthew's house when they arrived.