Chapter 7 - Where will his actions lead us then?

"Queen Aelsa, forgive the intrusion. Prince Loki of Asgard requests an audience."

The silver-haired Elf Queen of Alfheim, high and mighty on her throne and surrounded by dozens of subjects, looked up in Loki's direction as he was presented to the court. Many followed her gaze, brows arched or furrowed at his sudden appearance.

"Does he now?" She scowled. "A visit from the Trickster rarely bodes well. However, I am curious why he is here. Bring him before me."

Loki's footsteps were accompanied by whispers left and right. They ceased as he halted at the throne and knelt. "Your Majesty, I must apologise for coming here unannounced. Yet considering past events and to keep the peace between our realms, I felt it my obligation. I regret to inform you it is not Queen Frigga who will attend the Feast of Ljosalfheim, but the Crown Prince, Thor Odinson."

The murmurs of the court resumed, louder this time. The corner of the Elf Queen's mouth twitched at the mention of Thor's name. She rose from her throne with a certain predatorial air about her and waved her hand at a servant. The man hastened away. Her subjects parted ways as she descended to where Loki still knelt.

"Follow me," she spoke, her voice icy but stately.

The Prince of Asgard did as he was told, following Aelsa towards what he assumed was a private audience room, away from the court's prying eyes. Her sheer red dress flowed about her like rose petals dancing in the wind as they fell. Despite being royalty, the Queen wore no jewels. There was no crown atop her head, and no necklace, bracelets, or rings adorned her body. She needed no such trifles; she was already the most radiant gem in her realm.
Loki left the door open at her behest and waited for her to address him again, hands behind his back. But Aelsa just stood hunched over the table in the centre of the room. Her nails scratched into the wood. Even from a distance, Loki perceived she was absolutely livid.

"My Queen," the servant appeared on the threshold, seemingly scared to enter, "we have word from the Gatekeeper. Thor Odinson shall indeed arrive in three days' time."

In a fit of fury, Queen Aelsa swept everything off the table. The servant yelped and ran, leaving Loki alone with the raging silver-haired Elf Queen.

"HOW DARE HE! Am I to be shamed once more by this pup in my own realm? Has the Allfather lost all sense to send HIM back here? And you!" She rounded on Loki. "Do not think I forgot your role in what that idiot did to me, Trickster! You disguised yourself as his comrade and put the challenge to him! I should have your head for your part in it!"

Aelsa closed the distance between them in a few strides. Her hand reached for Loki's throat but went right through him, grasping nothing but air. She fell back with a stunned expression, to which Loki grinned. "You did not think I would actually come here, did you?"

Her consternation lasted only a moment. As quickly as the raging fury had appeared, the stately Queen once again stood before Loki. The ever-changing temperament of the Light Elves never ceased to amaze him. But then again, it was exactly the reason he conjured his illusion into Alfheim while his actual body was at the Urdarbrunn. The magic there would give him the strength to keep the illusion about long enough. And this way, he was certain to survive Aelsa's ire.

"Frigga has taught you well," she spoke approvingly. "I expected nothing else from you, Loki Odinson."

He nodded, understanding he'd passed her test. "You knew."

"I know all within my realm," replied the Queen with pride. "I sensed your magic the moment you appeared here and applaud you for your audacity. Yet despite my appreciation of your prowess, it does not excuse what has happened in the past, nor does it excuse the insult Odin gives me. Does the Allfather honestly believe I will allow it? What does he hope to accomplish by sending his golden son to me?"