Chapter 21 - The day keeps getting better

Start from the beginning

“What you guys doing here?” Megan asks.

“Not much. Just getting pancakes.” I tell her whilst the boys get lost in some discussion about football.

“Hey I might go and ak for some as well so I will be back in two seconds.” She gets up and walks up to the little bar to ask the waitress.

I slump on the table and half listen to Tanner and Hayes’ discussion.

“That pass. Come on man.” Tanner exclaims and I roll my eyes at them. Hayes laughs at my expression and I grin back at him. He holds my gaze for slightly too long and I look away, going red.

“Don’t tell me you coming on to my girl Hayes?” Tanner jokes, and I feel forced to laugh. Hayes just smiles then watches Megan walk back to the table. She slides into her seat, twirling her hair round her finger and soon enough they are kissing. There is an air of awkwardness but instead of feeling out of place I turn to Tanner and gaze into his eyes. He flutters his eyelashes (the kind which are so long that they are kind of a waste on boys).

“Pancakes?” The perky waitress appears holding four plates with stacks of sky high pancakes, drizzled with runny maple sauce and whipped cream. I see Hayes’ eyes widen and I giggle at his astonished look.

“Wow…” He exclaims.

We leave the restaurant with stuffed stomachs and we say goodbye to go our separate ways. I hug Megan and say goodbye then pace over to Hayes. He smiles, his whole face lighting up and he pulls me into a cuddly hug. I close my eyes, taking in his scent then pull away, ready to walk with Tanner.

“See you tomorrow guys.” I wave and we begin to walk away from each other.

“Come on, let’s walk through the park.” Tanner says and we head over. We walk hand in hand through the trees, not saying much but it isn’t awkward. It is a peaceful kind of silence. I try not to stumble over my feet but my legs are so shaky with nerves that I still find myself falling. His hand miraculously catches my back and he pulls me towards himself.

“Oops.” I giggle and he shakes his head.

“You klutz.” He laughs and pulls me into a standing position. There our faces are so close to touching that I forget everything and just peck him on the lips. He smiles and holds my face close to his. We press our lips together and I can feel the nervous butterflies in my stomach flying away.

“Come on, let’s get you home.”

We ended up waiting for his brother to come and get us for nearly half an hour. I get to my house at quarter past sevenish and, after waving Tanner goodbye, I stroll into the house. The first thing I see is Molly on the stairs, an agonizing look on her face.

“Run.” She mouths and I turn to see mom frowning at me. I dart to the stairs but she stops me with a death stare and I walk back to her in shame.

“Explain.” She says.

“I got my uniform!” I say, holding up the crumpled bag. When I see the look she gives me I drop it on the floor and hang my head.

“How is… what’s his name… Tanner?” She growls.

“How’d you kn… Molly!” I yell. Molly laughs and skips into the kitchen, probably to find food.

“You were meant to come straight home.” Mom yells. Dad comes through the door holding a bowl of cereal.

“I’d better leave then.” He says and I nod grimly.

“You’re grounded.” Mom says firmly.

“But mo-om.” I complain.

“Two weeks. Or shall I make it three?”

“Heck no! Mom please.” I beg. “You can’t ground me. Molly should have looked after me.”

“This isn’t about Molly. It was your mistake. Now go to your room.”

“Urghhh. You are literally so annoying.” I huff and storm up the stairs.

“Haha” Molly wails with laughter and I frown and throw my purse at her head. She dodges it gracefully then runs into her bedroom, before slamming her bedroom door hard.

“Sophie. I’m warning you!” Mom yells, making me even angrier.

I storm into my room and open my laptop. Twitter automatically pops up and I see Cameron, Taylor and Jack Johnson have all dmed me. Before opening them, I scroll through my feed and see Nash has announced a surprise show in Greensboro, so not really far. I open up my dm’s and see all three messages are invite to see the show with a guest, free of charge. I reply to them, saying I will ask my parents and they reply almost instantly with a ‘Cool beans’ from Cam, an ‘Awesome’ from Taylor and a ‘Right on old chap’ from Jack J. I grin at their messages then call Mom.

“Mo-om?”

“What now?” She comes into my room and places a hand on her hip sassily.

“Can I go Greensboro with Hayes and Nash to see their show? Pleaseeeeee?” I literally get down on my knees and beg.

“But you are g-r-o-u-n-d-e-d!”

“Please mom.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“I’ll do double chores for, like, two months.” I do my puppy dog eyes face and she finally gives in.

“Okay. But Molly is taking you.”

“What?!” Molly and I yell simultaneously. She has appeared at my door alongside mom, looking extremely frustrated.

“I’m not trekking all the way down to Greensboro just to see Nash and Hayes muck around with some bratty boys.”

“They’re cute Moll.” I try to change her mind. She rolls her eyes then looks back at me.

“Fine.”

I yell with delight and do a group hug with them both. Dad must hear the commotion because he comes in and joins us, managing to lift all three of us at the same time. When they are gone I dive on to my bed and message all ten of the guys going to inform them that Molly and I will be there. They all reply telling me that they have booked rooms for everyone at a hotel near the venue. I yell down to mom telling her about the hotel and, after another huge debate, she lets Molly and I share a room at the hotel. I go back to message them the news and realise Hayes has read my message but not replied. I stare at the screen then slammed down the laptop lid and fling myself back on my bed.