Chapter 38 - Deja Vu

"Sophie, can we watch Frozen?" Skylynn begs. It is nearly her bedtime but I am feeling nice. She will probably fall asleep halfway through anyway.

"Come on then." I slot the disc into the dvd player and we sit back to watch the film. I get a sudden feeling of déjà vu as this is exactly what happened last time I babysat here. The first song comes on and the whole situation pays out like it did last time, except Hayes is nowhere to be seen.

"When she sings For The First Time In Forever can we dance like you and Hayes did?" Skylynn asks and I blush.

"Sure Sky." I say quietly. The song comes on and I spin her around the room. I look like I am having fun but on the inside I feel like I am going to cry.

"Let's sit down now Sky." I pant when the song finally finishes. We sit side by side on the couch and soon she is drifting off to sleep. By the time Let It Go rolls around she is snoring into my arm. Lifting her in a baby carry, I carry her upstairs and tuck her into her bed. She automatically snuggles with her horse toy and I smile. I head back downstairs a flick the tv over to TLC. Toddlers and Tiaras has just come on so I sit and watch a bunch of spoiled brats having tantrums for a good hour and a half.

I am just about to fall asleep in the middle of a Cake Boss rerun when the door slams open and Hayes bursts into the room.

"Sup chicklet." He slurs and I immediately realise he is drunk.

"Hayes shut the hell up." I hiss and I brings a wobbly finger to his lips then falls on the opposite couch.

"Are you drunk?" I whisper angrily. He is such an idiot.

"Nooooo..." He giggles and I roll my eyes.

"Spill."

"Just like a couple... maybe more. After the game. I'm a champion... I can fly like a biiiirrrddddddd..." He mumbles. I cannot deal with Hayes, drunk or not.

"You need to get your ass upstairs before Elizabeth gets  home."

"Don't boss me around LADY." He says and hiccups a little after. Although this makes me want to laugh, I keep a poker face and take a step closer.

"I need help." I think out loud. After a minutes think I call the first person I think of. Nash. He picks up and I explain to him what has happened.

"I'll be over in a minute." He says and I hear other voices in the background. He was probably at the game too.

"Okay. Hurry though." I hang up and figure out what to do with Hayes. He has gone into the kitchen and it rooting around in the pan cupboard.

"HAYES STOP!" I say and he sits on the floor.

"I want mac and cheese." He burbles and I roll my eyes again.

"You aren't three. Get up and sit in a chair and I'll get you a glass of water or something." I order and, thankfully, he sits in the chair obediently.

Nash walks in about ten minutes later.

"Thank god I cannot deal with him." I say and he storms over.

"What the fuck were you thinking you idiot?" He hisses in Hayes' face. "I don't care if you drink. Believe me. But doing it on school grounds? When you were supposed to look after Sky? When mom could have seen you? That is just taking the piss Hayes." Nash finishes his lecture and we turn to each other.

"He needs to sleep. Look at the state of him. I'll cover for him in the morning but for now you need to help me carry him upstairs because..." Hayes has fallen asleep on the table, just like Skylynn did.

"You grab his arms and I'll take his legs." Nash says so we pick him up and heave him up the stairs. Once we are in his room we plonk him on to his bed and somehow get the sheets over him. In his sleep, Hayes burps and hiccups and I wince, thinking he is going to throw up on me.

"Right. I'll get a bucket or something in case this idiot pukes and you stay here in case he wakes up."

"Sure thing." I say and sit in his computer chair.

Nash heads downstairs and, whilst he is banging about in the kitchen, I spin around on the chair in boredom. I hear a shift from Hayes' direction and see he is hanging over the edge of the bed.

"Ouchie." He mumbles. I push him back into his bed and he curls up in the foetal position. I sigh and sit back in the chair.

"Sophie." He whispers in his sleep. Thinking it is just sleep talk I ignore him and continue to swing on the chair.

"SOPHIE." He growls and I jump, his voice echoing around the room. I hear Skylynn stir in the other room and wince in case she wakes up. I shuffle my chair towards the bed and see Hayes has sat upright in his bed.

"What Hayes?" I know he is still drunk so I expect a bunch of nonsense to come from him.

"Sophie. I need to tell you something."

"Spill the beans."

"Sophie... I... I love you."