Chapter 1

(For reference italicized words are words written to and from soulmates)

     The soulmate concept came along the same time as quirks did.

     Anything written on skin would appear on the soulmate. It was often used in communication. To help find each other. To learn about each other.

     At the age you tend to develop your quirk is also around the time you can start communicating with your soulmate. Being quirkless didn't mean you couldn't. It was just a hit to reality that you were quirkless... and no one wanted that.

     Hours after Midoriya found out he was quirkless as he failed holding back the tears after his mom denied his ability to be a hero, he felt lost. He felt sick. Realizing he would always be a burden. His friends so far ahead of him.

     Friends... they wouldn't be friends with him after this. Kacchan... Kacchan definitely wouldn't. Especially since he started talking to his soulmate recently.

     Soulmate... his soulmate wouldn't want anything to do with him.

     Just hours after Midoriya discovered he was quirkless he clumsy fumbled with a marker. Hands shaking as he took the blue ink to his skin. Slightly sloppy and standard child like handwriting wide across left forearm. He wrote to his soulmate for the first time.

     I'm sorry

     But there was no response. Midoriya didn't really expect one.

————————

     Years went on and Midoriya still held onto the dream of being a hero. Quirk or no quirk. Others had words about it of course. The constant bullying he was buried under could send him spiraling for hours if not days. Keeping him buried in his notes in a desperate attempt of relief.

     Midoriya had tried writing his soulmate a few times after the original night. Especially with Kacchan bragging so much about his. He always did small simple things.

     Hi

     How are you?

     How was your day?

     Hello

     Never a response.

     "Maybe you don't have a soulmate just like you don't have a quirk," Bakugou said one day on their walk home

     Midoriya flinched slightly at the words. The thought had occurred to him before. It was rare but it did happen. Just like not having a quirk.

     "Mines cool but his favorite hero is the Crimson Riot," Bakugou snorted slightly, "How could it not be All Might?"

     "Do you even know his name?"

     Bakugou stopped pausing slightly before frantically look for a pen