8 - THE DEAL

Hospital

Hospital

Dr. Kline examined Jimmy's eyes while asking a typical basic question. "James, do you know where you are?"

Jimmy responded with a not so typical answer. "The Roosevelt?"

Doctor Carolyn Kline allowed a small laugh to escape. "A little upscale wouldn't you say?"

"The Holiday Inn?" His voice raised slightly to amuse the doctor.

"That will do. You have a nasty bump back here. We will need a scan to see if anything serious is going on under your lid." Dr. Kline stood straight. "How are you feeling?" She listened for any slurring of his words.

"Like I could sleep for a month, but no one lets me." Jimmy spoke unfiltered. "I am tired, doctor."

"We will take some bloodwork and get a CT scan." Doctor Kline looked at Jimmy's hand pinch his skin. It did not immediately rebound as healthy skin should.

"Oww! What the hell?" Jimmy pulled his hand from the doctor.

"Mr. Dunn you are severely dehydrated. Marilyn, can you come in here?" The nurse stepped into the curtained area. "An electrolyte IV for Mr. Dunn and get him down to digital health."

"Mr. Beaufort?" Dr. Kline called out.

"Right here!" Alex made his way to the curtained area.

"Your friend will be staying the night." The doctor explained her reasoning. "He is dehydrated and we need time to determine how bad his injury is."

"Can I see him before I leave?"

"Sure, but keep it short."

"Hey, Alex." Jimmy called out to his new friend.

Alex entered the curtained area. "Hey Jimmy, looks like you are here overnight. I'm gonna head home. What should I tell, Windy?"

"Tell her...I...I. Tell her I am going crazy." Jimmy then frowned as the pain returned. "Arghhhh!"

"I will tell her." Alex looked at Jimmy. "Hey, doctor!"

"Mr. Dunn. James? You should leave now, Mr. Beaufort." Doctor Kline tried to get Jimmy's attention then called for her nurse. "Marilyn, we need to know what is happening with Mr. Dunn. Let's get him to digital imaging now!"

Jimmy slipped into unconsciousness once again. His mind took him right back to his apartment just off Main street in Vancouver.

"Geesus, Win! What was that for?" Jimmy rubbed his shoulder. "You are stronger than you think!"

"That was half what I have. Screw up after you open this door and feel the full force of Hurricane Windy." She pushed him towards the door.

Jimmy opened the door and smiled as his eyes met Dana's. "Hey Dani, come in!"