Chapter 20

After defeating and eating the Hackclaw, my mind had become completely in sync with my body. Because of that, it became much easier for me to move around and hunt some new monsters. Of course, despite getting used to my newfound power, I still didn't forget to proceed with caution. And naturally, this also applied whenever I fought a monster.

Speaking of fighting some monsters. I have actually defeated quite a number now. And those monsters could be split into three categories. First was the first monster I have defeated after evolving into this form, the mantis type monster called the Hackclaw. The second one was the lizard type monster called Horned Umbrazard which was the very same monster I had eaten in order to evolve. Then there was the ant type monster called Anties Scout that was popping up from time to time. Though, as I continuously pushed forward, I had noticed that my chance of encountering an Anties Scout was somehow decreasing. But that fact was not the one I was most confused about.

Are there really no Hellhounds around this place? Was the question I had.

To be perfectly honest, I was just fine not meeting one. After all, who in the world would be crazy enough to actively seek those crazy monsters out? I mean seriously, it was not as if those monsters were scary, it was just that they were repulsive. And when I said repulsive, I didn't mean it in a physical way. What I meant were those things were just simply incompatible with life.

Hmm? What was with that last statement you asked? Well, it just simply means that those things couldn't possibly exist without causing any destruction. At least, that was my overall impression on those Hellhounds. And seriously, the madness I felt on those Hellhounds were quite similar to the feeling I got from that Cerberus. In short, those things were chaos incarnate.

Oh right, if we're talking about a repulsive aura, that armored human from my memory gave me that same vibe. But strangely enough, the repulsive feeling I got from that armored human felt a little different compared to those mad monsters. From what I could tell, the armored human's presence felt more like a direct threat to my existence. On the other hand, I felt as if those mad monsters were an absolute enemy of all living things. And based on the behavior that the Cerberus and those two Hellhounds have shown, those monsters would surely destroy and devour any unfortunate lifeforms that they happen to encounter on their path.

Seriously, I wonder why those monsters are behaving like that.

Really, those monster's behavior was really a mystery. Because as strange as it was, I couldn't feel that same intent coming from the other monsters I had encountered. Of course, that didn't mean that the other monsters weren't dangerous. But unlike the Cerberus and Hellhounds, the other monsters were killing other living beings in order to survive. In other words, the other monsters were doing it out of necessity and not just for the sake of doing it.

Man, I really don't want to end up like that.

While I was thinking of such things, I finally reached the exit of the narrow path I was traversing and once again found myself on a small dome-like area. And just like the other ones I had passed by before, the walls of this dome-like area were also littered with holes that seemed like a pathway leading to god knows where.

Sigh... Another one of these huh? I thought, feeling a little tired.

Honestly, it was really hard to tell the difference between this area and the other ones from before. Fortunately, I have my Enhance Smell skill that was why it was easy for me to know that this was my first time being in this area. If I didn't have that skill, I wouldn't even be able to tell if I was just going around in circles or if I was actually making any progress. Seriously, I wouldn't want to be stuck in this place without any way to mark an area. That was how confusing this place was.