Chapter 13

It took a while, but I'm finally back at full strength. Seriously though, I'd like to avoid doing that ever again as much as possible. Anyway, when I left that place, the number of tadpoles had decreased significantly. But don't misunderstand. It was not entirely my fault, only part of it. Well, it was inevitable, though. I mean, those guys ate each other ceaselessly while I was there. I would even bet that they were still up to it even after I had left. If I had to guess, that cycle would only end after only one was left and then it would proceed to evolve into a full-fledged Giant Frog. I was so lucky I didn't get reborn as a tadpole.

After I had left that place, I continued moving forward while hunting monsters to eat along the way. Of course, this time, I proceeded with a lot more caution. I wouldn't want a repeat of what happened with that snake after all. Luckily enough, I still haven't seen nor encountered any other monsters similar to that snake. From the looks of it, that was a stray and I was just unlucky enough to encounter it.

Because of continuously hunting and killing monsters, I gained another level and I was now just one level short before I evolved once again. Some of my skills have also ranked up. The most striking one was my Assess skill. After using it continuously, it was now rank B. Because of that, now I could see a monster's race whenever I used it on them. Another thing was, I now know where I am and the name of this place. It happened when I used Assess on a boulder. The information it displayed was [Great Vicious Caverns' Rock]. So, yeah. Apparently, this place was called the "Great Vicious Caverns." For now, I still didn't know the full details of what that meant, but it was still better than knowing nothing at all. And as for my current status...

[Name: (Unnamed)]

[Race: Dire Wolf Variant]

[Level: 19]

[Status: Healthy]

[Titles: Awakened One, The RunAway, Predator, Survivor]

[Skills: Rabid Fangs (Rank A), Call of The Moon (Rank C), Night Vision (Rank A), Enhance Smell (Rank S), Enhance Hearing (Rank S), Recovery (Rank A), Detect Malice (Rank A), Scratching Claws (Rank D), Potential Boost (Rank D), Assess (Rank B), Presence of Mind (Rank D), Swiftness (Rank C), Haste (Rank C), Devour (Rank B), Hunt (Rank C), Antibodies (Rank D), Toughness (Rank D), Pain Endurance (Rank D)]

As you could see, the number of my skills were steadily increasing. I didn't know if having a lot of skills was a normal thing in this world, but I wouldn't complain. Also, remember that cliff I mentioned earlier? Well, after I had regained my full strength, I cautiously checked it out. And as it turned out, I was right, the monster bees were all coming up from there. Honestly, I couldn't see the bottom of the cliff and even using Assess yielded no result. Probably, the cliff was too deep even for the current range of my vision. But most likely thanks to my Enhance Hearing skill, I could still hear the relentless buzzing of numerous bees beyond the darkness of the cliff. If my guess was right, the nest of those bees would be somewhere on that cliff. As for those stray bees that appeared from time to time, well, according to Mr. Assess, they were apparently called [Bee Scouts].

Man, the number of these boulders and small lakes sure are increasing. I thought, as I continued to trek my way on the wetland area.

Actually, it has been bothering me for quite some time now. Compared to the number of boulders and lakes scattered all over on this area before, it seemed as if the more I neared the exit (At least I assumed so) the more they're numbers were increasing. And the thing was, contrary to that, the number of monsters seemed to be decreasing. I got a seriously bad feeling about this.

While I was wallowing on my ever-growing anxiety, my eyes happened across an enormous lake. This lake, compared to all the other lakes I have seen before was on a completely different scale. Even that nest where all those tadpoles were killing each other couldn't compare to the sheer size of this lake. To describe how huge it was, well, let's just say that the lake was so big that it encompassed the whole area from the edge of the cliff all across to the other end of the wall. It was honestly so big that the only way I could think to cross it was to either swim or hop on top of all that boulders jutting out from its water. But even with all of that, the most important thing I saw was the hole on the wall beyond it.