Chapter 59

20:00

"So Mrs. Manoban, congratulation on your results in the election." started Mr. Kim as they all sat down around the dinner's table. The old man had made sure to face Lisa, and Jennie immediately chose the end of the table, right between the Thai girl and her uncle. She needed keep an eye on the former; one wrong step and everything would turn into a nightmare. "I'm pretty sure no one would've seen you going that far." The old man added.

"I definitely didn't either." Lisa answered with a smile. "People in this school never fail to surprise me." She then added, letting her eyes linger a few seconds on Jennie, who made sure not to spare her any glance.

"And you did surprise them back didn't you. Just like my son did." The old man continued, his accusatory eyes shifting now between the Thai girl and Taehyung. "Although I already know his reasons for doing so, I must admit I am curious about yours."

Lisa lightly frowned. She needed to be careful. It was clear Mr. Kim didn't hold her in his heart and although she didn't blame him, she quickly realized gaining his approval was going to be hard. After all, he didn't have any reason to cut her some slack, unlike Taehyung.

But as intimidating the old man tried to appear, it was nothing new to Lisa. Since she was a little, she had been raised, trained and shaped to thrive in those kind of situations.

"Remember Lalisa. Gaining someone's favor isn't about blending in, being charming, or even liked. You don't want the person you're talking to to like you if they don't recognize you as someone they need and trust."

Her father's words echoed in her mind. She was five the first time she heard them and as much as she hated being reminded of those unforgettable lessons her parents had engraved in her mind throughout her life, she knew they were right. If she was going to make Jennie's uncle accept her, it wasn't going to be out of sympathy. Neither Lisa or Mr. Kim had the intention of starting a regular platonic relationship.

The old man was like an alpha male. The reason he invited her was only to calculate her level of threat regarding his clan that were his school and family. Lisa's situation was a little different, as she didn't have any interest in joining this power game in order to reach some kind of higher and more privileged role. No, her unique motivation behind her desire to be accepted by Mr. Kim could be summarized in one word: Jennie.

She had this feeling, or should she say hunch, that Mr. Kim's exaggerated wariness toward her, was directly linked with the brunette. It didn't make sense at first glance, as the man didn't have a clue on the relationship she and her niece shared. But something still itched her. His dislike toward her had a deeper meaning and she was determined to find it out.

But first, she needed to distance herself from any image he was associating her with. She'd find his triggers later.

"Well, if I had to be completely honest," she finally answered, "giving up these elections wasn't exactly something i wanted to do."

Every eyes were on her now. She felt Jennie's looking at her questioningly.

"And dinner is served." Mrs. Kim's happy voice cut the tension and Lisa finally met the family's last member. "I always make sure to cook twice the usual portion in case of unexpected visits, so don't be afraid to eat." She added, looking at the Thai girl with a welcoming smile.

Lisa froze for a millisecond.

Interesting.

"You shouldn't tell me that Mrs. Kim." She immediately commented, flashing the older woman a dazzling smile. "This beef stew smells so good I might finish it all by myself." She ended her line with an equally charming bow.