Chapter 51

Friday, 21:00

This was her moment. Her glory. And she wasn't going to let anyone else take that from her.

Irene stood fiercely in front of the already crowded gym's entrance. The queue was long, way bigger than last year, but she didn't care. Quickly passing by the other students waiting, she confidently presented herself at the door and in front of the security guard in charge of checking everyone's ID. A few complaints raised from the crowd now behind her.

"I'm so sorry," she turned around, pleading with an innocent smile and puppy eyes, "but it's so cold outside. And with my dress, I'm sure you all understand why I can't wait in line."

The complaints stopped, immediately followed by multiple empathetic encouragements.

Internally smirking, she turned to the guard, who only nodded, and entered the building.

Humans were decidedly very stupid when it came to primitive desires, Irene had realized it at a very young age. She wasn't even ten when she understood the benefits of having a pretty face. Those angelic eyes could soften anyone. Teachers, classmates, it was almost too easy.

Until it wasn't. Although boys were constantly at her knees, girls on the opposite would always glare at her in jealousy. And it was at age twelve that she realized she actually wanted the opposite to happen. From that, five long and painful years followed. Shame, hatred, disgust, long was the list of destructive emotions she felt toward herself during those times. And nobody noticed, too blinded by her appearance that didn't seem to stop blooming as she grew older.

But one day, she had enough.

"Honey, we're going to move to Seoul. You'll be attending college here." She remembered her parents telling her.

A normal teenager would've probably protested, or at least felt sad, but for Irene, this came as an epiphany.

The next day, at the cafeteria, she announced everyone who she was. What she was. She still recalled to this date everyone's face as she screamed to the top of their lungs how unattractive she found boys and how she was in love with every girl in her class. She didn't care anymore. Tomorrow, she'd leave Busan, move to Seoul and start a new life here.

Her parents were the only ones who didn't know at this point, but they didn't have to, she decided. They were always traveling anyway. Would they even care?

And just as she promised herself, she started college with enthusiasm, making sure to explore to the fullest this new world that was her sexuality.

She realized with the great joy how other students actually didn't really care for her dating preferences. If anything, her popularity only grew bigger. A lot of ladies were now also looking at her with lust and curiosity, and boys, being boys, weren't able to stop drooling over her. She had finally had what she wanted. She could be herself and still get the attention she had been addicted to since forever.

Subtlety avoiding other students already enjoying the party, she headed to the changing rooms. Putting on her costume would at least take her twenty minutes without any of her assistants' help, and she needed to make it perfect.

-------------

21:15

Jisoo wasn't feeling well. She had been waiting in line with Chaeyoung for the last ten minutes and with every second passing, the perspective of having to participate to the costume contest seemed more and more scary.

"Are you okay?" Asked her friend, next to her. "You seem tense. Does it have to do with this thing you don't want to tell me about?"

"W-what?! What do you mean the thing I don't want to tell you-"