Chapter 1 - Wet Glue

For those of you who are just beginning to read my book, I just want to let you know that I'm in the process of editing the previous chapters of this story! My writing has significantly improved over the course of the past two years (hence why I want to fix all these chapters!), so if the writing gets bad, know that it's because I haven't gotten to editing yet. Please don't let that stop you from reading! I'll post some sort of message on every chapter that I have edited (kinda like the one below) so that you know for sure though. Thanks again for reading!

Edited Version! -- There's a trailer now too! Check there ------>

____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1

The warm crisp wind blew against the side of my face as I dug my feet into the warm sand and looked out into the sunset. The shades of orange, red, and purple seemed to blend so beautifully.

                Everyday this summer, I had walked to the back streets of our community to sit at the sandy shores of Millbrae’s beach and admire the sun set behind the blue waters. It was honestly what I looked forward to every single day. Something about coming here made me feel safe—the beach would always be here, no matter what happened. The sun setting behind the sea was my true escape, my escape from the horrible reality of my life.

                “Jessica Hayes, I knew I’d find you here.”

                I zipped my head around to see my father—his dark brown hair fixated with light gel onto his scalp, a very unusual look for such a humble man like him—walking towards me with a comforting smile planted on his face.

                I furrowed my eyebrows.  “What are you doing home from work so early?”

                “Well, I thought I’d spend some time with my daughter before she becomes a senior and forgets that I exist.” He chuckled while taking a seat beside me.

                “Dad, I’m not going to forget you,” I laughed, “And I’m not even excited for senior year. High school is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to me.”

                “Eh, kiddo, don’t let that drama get you. You and Taylor, even if you guys aren’t the best of friends right now, had the best memories together. I’ve watched you guys since you were little girls. Plus you have Chadd, he’s a really great guy.”

                “But he’s been dating Taylor. No matter how hard the three of us try, it’s just always going to be awkward. Nicole hates me, she always has, and everyone else is too busy in their own world to understand me. I pretty much have no one.”

                My father reached over and patted my hair, “You know you have us, Jess. Mom, Ivy and I, we’ll always be there for you.”

                “I know.” I smiled back at him, “And I’m always here for you guys, too.”

                My father’s lips hitched up into a half smile as he turned to look into the sunset. His coffee brown eyes diluted as his lower lip slightly quivered. I had never seen him like this before; he was always the confident, strong man that I looked up to.

                “Dad, what’s wrong?”

                He shifted his eyes back to me, his lips now pressing into a straight line, “Jess, always remember, Mom and I love you. No matter what happens, always remember that.”