Chapter 15 - The Halloween Fest

Halloween special! I hope you guys enjoy it :)

---- Edited Version ----

___________________________________________________________________________

“Taylor seems to be doing a lot better,” Chadd stated, smiling as we made our way towards the front of the school.

                I let out a sigh of relief. “That’s really good. I hope she recovers from whatever she is going through.”

                “Bleh,” Chadd whined, beginning to frown a little. “I don’t really enjoy that fact that she’s still hanging out with Nicole, though.”

                I rolled my eyes; how is that shocking? “Whatever. You know them; they’re always on and off.”

                We both sighed in unison, lumbering slowly through the gate and into the cluttered parking lot.

                “I can’t believe teachers are giving us this shitload of homework on Halloween.” Chadd flipped through his notebook, groaning a few times.

                I chuckled as a few papers flew out—he was so unorganized. “I know!” I complained back. “Are you going to the Halloween Fest near downtown today?”

                He cocked an eyebrow, his eyes still fixed to his list of homework.  “We’re all going Jess, you too.”

                “What? No! I’m not coming,” I denied.

                “Yes. You are!” Chadd asserted, lifting his gaze to meet mine.

                I scrunched my nose. “But that involves dressing up.”

                Chad raised his eyebrows, staring back at me like I was the biggest idiot on the planet. “You are lazy.”

                “I am not!”

                He smirked. “Yes you are, Jess. That’s why I call you old fart.”

                I stuck my tongue out at him. “Shut up.” My gaze roamed around the school, searching avidly for a short, brown haired boy. “I have to find Tyler. Apparently we’re supposed to hang out with our freshman buddies today,” I remarked, my eyes still wandering.

                “Are you serious?” Chadd questioned innocently. “I can’t stand my buddy. She’s driving me crazy!”

                My eyes finally caught the familiar face and I grinned. “Found him,” I chirped, pulling Chadd’s arm towards Tyler’s direction. As we inched towards Tyler, Chadd made a few groans and I returned them with an awkward expression. “What are you doing?” I inquired, furrowing my eyebrows.

                Suddenly I heard a shrill and gagged mentally.

                “Hey Chadd!”

                My eyes immediately drew to a petite girl standing beside Tyler, a huge beam spreading across her face. Her auburn hair was swung up in a pony tail, her emerald eyes glistening.

                “Jess, meet my freshman buddy. Brittney,” Chadd said, speaking through clenched teeth as he turned around to glare at me. Within seconds, he turned back around, plastering on a phony grin.

                I chuckled at his agonized expression and then turned back to face Brittney. “Hi! I’m Jess,” I greeted.

                She waved, giggling profusely. “Nice to meet you, Jess!”