Chapter 30 - Ready

“I’ve decided. You’re wearing this black dress tonight,” Maddy demanded, marking the end of her search through my closet.

            I pursed my lips, eyeing the black, long sleeved dress. “That one? It’s Ivy’s.”

            “I’m sure she’d let you borrow it,” Maddy shrugged.

            Raising my eyebrows, I inhaled. “I’m not really up for asking her right now.”

            Maddy’s arms fell to her side as she dragged her feet towards me. Folding one of her legs, she dropped down onto the bed beside me. “Jess, you’ve been moping around these past few days. Don’t think we can’t see through that weary smile of yours. Things are going to get better. Take it one step at a time.”

            “I know, I know,” I sighed, “I’m just not looking forward to tonight.”

            “Joe didn’t agree with you, did he?” Maddy asked.

            “It’s not that he didn’t agree, it’s just that there’s really no other way. If we don’t give Will immunity, he’s not going to have an incentive to help us. It makes complete sense but doesn’t sound very promising. Will is capable of a lot of damage, and that scares me.”

            Maddy shook her head; her short hair bouncing above her shoulders. “I don’t understand how Zach’s okay with all of this. That jerk won’t talk to me about anything.”

            “That makes two of us,” I muttered, pressing my lips into a thin line while taking the black dress from her grasp and rising from my bed. “Wish me luck,” I said, holding up the hanger as I backed out of my room.  

            Quickly, I made my way over to Ivy’s room, knocking on her door before entering. “Hey,” I greeted.

            “Hey,” she replied, her emerald eyes fixing to mine as she lifted her head from the turquoise nail polish she had been painting on her nails.

            “I’m going out tonight, and I was wondering if I could borrow this dress?” I held out the hanger.

            “Yeah, sure. Where are you going?” She questioned, oddly curious.

            “Uh,” I hesitated, “Just out to dinner… with a few friends.”

            “Which friends?” Ivy interrogated.

            My eyebrows came together. Why did it matter to her? I shrugged. “Everyone that I hang out with at school.”

            “Is Zach going to be there?”

            Why did everything always lead back to him? I clenched my jaw, groaning internally. “Yes, he’s going to be there,” I told her, rather irately.

            She sighed disapprovingly. “Get over him, Jess. Listen to mom and dad and let him go.”

            My breathing quickened. She was right, but for all the wrong reasons. I needed to get over him, but not because of my parents. Regardless of the way he’s been acting lately, he still protected me. He saved me from Vanessa and Will and was by my side when I had no one. I stand by what I’ve said about him; I always will.

            Ignoring her advice, I backed away slowly. “Thanks for the dress,” I said, spinning around to return to my room. No more about Zach. I’m done with that topic.