Chapter 14 - That Touch

Lots of Zach and Jess plus action in this chapter. Hopefully you'll like it!!

---- Edited Version ----

_____________________________________________________________________________

I churned in my bed, groaning as the scratchy sensation in my throat was beginning to wake me. My eyes felt heavy, permitting me to open them. I yawned while stretching my hands and then proceeded to pull the covers off of me.

                Suddenly my eyes shot open as flashbacks of the night before drifted back to me. Wait was that a dream? Zach—he kissed me? Or no, wait. Jess, it was you who kissed him!

                “Shit.”

                Startled by the sudden voice, I jerked up in my bed. As I turned my head to my side, I let out a sigh of relief while clamping onto my fast beating chest. Still a little mind-boggled, I examined Zach’s perfect posture as he lay on my bed rubbing his eyes. Well, then, I guess that wasn’t a dream, I dryly noted, as my heart rate picked up drastically.

                Zach ran a hand through his messy hair and brought half of his body up. He looked at me with dazed, apologetic eyes. “I guess I accidently fell asleep here after I brought you back—” His words stopped as a deep, roaring cough erupted from his throat. Shaking his head, he attempted to clear his throat.

                I panicked, “Are you okay?”

                Zach swallowed. “Ah, I just get sick easily.”

                Crap, that was probably my fault—I mean, considering that I feel sick right now too. I bit my lip remorsefully. “Sorry,” I mumbled.

                Zach smirked. “You fell asleep on me… again.”

                I took in a nervous breath of air, turning around as my face flushed into a deep red color. As if what I’d done wasn’t embarrassing enough, I fell asleep on him? “I think we might have some cough syrup downstairs; I’ll go get it,” I said, attempting to escape this awkward situation.

                I skipped down the stairs, rushing to the medicine cabinet as I let my thoughts linger. Gah! I kissed Zach? And he kissed me back? Butterflies swarmed in my stomach, making me feel sick. I was so happy, yet so nervous. Letting out a sigh, I reached for the cough syrup but my eyes grew hard as I stared at the empty bottle. “We don’t have any left—,” I stopped yelling as I felt my face nearly dive into Zach’s chin.

                “You’re so clumsy,” Zach chuckled.

                “I’m not clumsy! I just don’t know what I’m doing,” I gracelessly protested.

                Zach laughed, “Like that’s any better.” An amused smile played on his lips, and his eyes twinkled.

                “Wow,” I groaned, “I would say something retarded like that. I’m so stupid.”

                “Well that,” Zach raised his eyebrows, “And you sleep like a baby.”

                “Hey!” I whined, smacking his chest lightly, almost squealing when I found out how hard and sturdy it was. “I-I’m sure you do too.” I managed, breathlessly. Jess, your comebacks are useless.

                Zach laughed and looked away briefly. All of a sudden, he brought his narrowed eyes back to mine. “Were your parents not home all night?” he interrogated.